PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Savage reconsider the 99?

Maine-iac
07-25-2015, 07:11 AM
Isn't it time for Savage to consider producing the 99 again? I know that they made the financial decision during tough times to focus their efforts on the 110 design due to market demands and the fact America has been shying away from lever actions. It would seem Marlin (Remington) Winchester, Browning, Henry and Mossberg must see enough demand to make a go of it. I would think a new 99 with all the modern perks (drilled/tapped with detach box) and even an Accu-trigger could fetch the same money as a Browning BLR thus making it cost effective. The Ruger 96 lever action was a mini 99 and Bill Ruger got that idea/design from Savage. They fetch near $1k on auction sites.

Just wishful thinking I am sure. Lots of used 99's out there so I guess I should be thankful Savage produced as many as they did!

J.Baker
07-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Never going to happen as the design requires too much hand fitting. First, the decision to stop making them wasn't financial based, it was tooling based. The old tooling that they had been using for the past 100 years was flat-out worn out making the guns even harder and more time consuming to manufacture. Ron Coburn really wanted to bring the 99 back, but after looking into it they determined that it just wasn't possible to produce them at a price point that the market would accept. In other words, they would have been extremely expensive and sales volume would be to low to warrant the investment in tooling up to manufacture them.

Fireball
07-30-2015, 09:21 PM
We need stainless, 2/3 scale 99's in 222/223 family of cartridges.