PDA

View Full Version : CDI metal VS Boyds Stock?

rjsixgun
07-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Anyone know if the CDI bottom metal is a drop in fit to a boyds stock that is inletted for a factory detachable mag??

BlueDog
07-24-2015, 02:21 PM
On my HogHunter conversion, the Boyd's Pro Varmint needed just a very small amount of inletting for the CDI. I would say the factory DBM version of Boyd's was 97% done. CDI makes quality stuff, Jeff and Pam are very nice, go for it!

rjsixgun
07-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the info!
What areas needed fitting?

BlueDog
07-24-2015, 09:04 PM
If I recall correctly the area under the DBM around the front action screw. It wasn't much, and I was done with it pretty quickly.

rjsixgun
07-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Hmmm might have to send them my stock then....I'm kinfa limited on hand tools.
So what is the best mag to use? Alpha, AI or pmags? Any differances?

BlueDog
07-24-2015, 10:18 PM
I just sent in my Axis to CDI, as always, inletting services are free (and quick). I can only comment on Alpha Industries mags, and MDT polymer mags as they are all I have. Accuracy International mags are too pricey for me. The MDT is ok, seems to feed ok, but no room for longer bullet seating. The mag is pretty close to touching factory ammo. My choice of the two is the Alpha. It's way shorter (double stack as opposed to single) and has room for longer OAL. In fact Alpha offers a mag with a bit more clearance than the one I have. I can't wait to get my mitts on the Magpul AICS mag, that is IF they ever release them.

rjsixgun
07-24-2015, 11:42 PM
Will the double stack alpha mag work in a centerfeed action??? And how much shorter are they?

BlueDog
07-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Yes, my Hog Hunter is a centerfeed, and it feeds well. If I recall correctly, the Alpha is about an inch shorter. I would not hesitate to buy another Alpha and probably will, soon.

CDiPrecision
07-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Alpha mags work on our stuff, they are good..we stock MDT and genuine AI stuff. the Boyds stokcs are a great value and work well. Best option is to buy one that's already inletted(not blind) and we re-inlet them and add pillars($20) . even if you have a stagger feed rifle we do it this way, and move the front hole for the stagger bolt spacing. the pre inletted stocks have a thinner side contour and our DBM sits pretty flush in them. the blind stocks are a bit recessed when we do them, so this is why we do it this way. nice and easy

rjsixgun
07-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Alpha mags work on our stuff, they are good..we stock MDT and genuine AI stuff. the Boyds stokcs are a great value and work well. Best option is to buy one that's already inletted(not blind) and we re-inlet them and add pillars($20) . even if you have a stagger feed rifle we do it this way, and move the front hole for the stagger bolt spacing. the pre inletted stocks have a thinner side contour and our DBM sits pretty flush in them. the blind stocks are a bit recessed when we do them, so this is why we do it this way. nice and easy

Wow! You were reading my mind! I was wondering which stock would me better to send one cut for a mag well or one that is not.
Now i know the one precut for a mag well 8s better to send you....

Thank you very much.

CDiPrecision
07-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Great..its the same for HS Precision stocks too, also the Bell and Carlson M40 stock they just came out with is a super winner, and work well(we still have to inlet them but its easy and they work and look great).

Jeff