PDA

View Full Version : Boyds for my 300 Win Mag

dreadpirateguybrush
07-24-2015, 08:11 AM
I've had a 111 in 300 Win Mag for a couple years that I've been neglecting to do any changes to. Its turn has come. I am looking at putting a Boyd's on it, specifically this (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43a514c06111_featherweight-thumbhole-savage-111-trophy-hunter-bottom-bolt-release-detachable-mag-long-action-factory-barrel-channel-nutmeg-laminate-finished) one. Now here is where I need the help. What all parts do I need for this conversion, and where is the best place to get them? Like I stated, it is a 300 win mag, it is also a bottom bolt release and it has a removable magazine. If more info is needed, please ask.

Swissfan
07-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Based on the info in your post, all you will need is a screwdriver. The few Boyds that I have had, did not require any fitting, although some people will install pillars and bed the action. Just make sure the barrel is free floating.

dreadpirateguybrush
07-27-2015, 04:56 AM
Great. I'll post an update if it turns out otherwise. Thanks for the reply.

Tarheelpwr
08-17-2015, 01:22 PM
Here's the info from the description you linked:

MUST READ: If you have a XP model with a synthetic stock, you will need to purchase the bottom metal component system through Savage or any aftermarket component supplier.
Due to the many variations of trigger guards that have beed used for Savage Actions. Boyds uses a flat bottom metal design. Fitting for plastic and some metal models may be needed or conPRO VARMINT Savage or Brownells for the flat bottom design.

These stocks are designed for the 3 piece design DETACHABLE BOX MAG parts as found on wood stocks. Some plastic stocked models will require you to purchase additional parts from Savage or Brownells. Not designed for old style side magazine release.

Assuming you have the 111 with plastic stock where the magazine clicks into the stock itself, you will need the plastic DBM surround from Savage. I don't know the part number.