PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 FCP-SR magazine

psharon97
07-23-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm thinking of buying one of these rifles, spinning the barrel off, selling the old barrel, and spinning on a 6.5mm cartridge. I'm torn between the 6.5 creedmoor and the 260 remington. The question I have is, how well do these magazines from the FCP-SR work with either the 260 or 6.5 creedmoor. I plan on shooting the long berger hybrid 140gr or the 142gr SMK.

Baxterpass
07-31-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm thinking of buying one of these rifles, spinning the barrel off, selling the old barrel, and spinning on a 6.5mm cartridge. I'm torn between the 6.5 creedmoor and the 260 remington. The question I have is, how well do these magazines from the FCP-SR work with either the 260 or 6.5 creedmoor. I plan on shooting the long berger hybrid 140gr or the 142gr SMK.

Savage lists the same magazine for .243, .260 Rem, 7mm-08 and .308, see https://store.savagearms.com/magazines-misc-parts/magazine-box-10fc-11fc-12fcv.html.

I have an FCP-SR in .308; heavy 18" barrel. Haven't shot it much yet, but very happy with it -- accurate; great trigger; smooth operation -- but thinking about doing the same thing as you, swapping to a lighter profile .260 Rem barrel, maybe for a Scout Rifle project. My favorite hunting rifle is a CZ550 in 6.5x55 Swede; I think a highly functional short-action Savage in .260 would be every bit as nice to shoot. 6.5 Creedmoor is supposed to be harder on bores and suited to a longer barrel.

I'm pretty much sold on 6.5mm now; inherently efficient round, noticeably lower recoil than .308, and I shoot it better. Chuck Hawks has a good article on the 6.5 family, see http://www.chuckhawks.com/6-5mm_rifle_cartridges.htm.

psharon97
07-31-2015, 02:29 PM
I decided to go the custom route instead of having Savage build the rifle. I just purchased an action from a member here and will pick the action up from my ffl on monday (provided usps delivers on time). I'm looking at a Manners stock, criterion barrel, cdi bottom metal. Hopefully when the rifle is complete, I'll be able to purchase pmag aics magazines.