PDA

View Full Version : Stock for Savage 10 P-SR?

Sebastian777
07-21-2015, 10:12 PM
So I'm considering upgrading the stock on my rifle. For those who aren't familiar with this model, it's a .308, 18" heavy barrel, accutrigger, detachable mag, with bolt release on the trigger guard. It does NOT have the Accustock.

What I'm looking for.
I'm wanting to avoid wood and excessive weight in whatever stock I get. I'm looking for a tactical look. I haven't made up my mind on thumbhole, pistol(ish), or traditional style rear grip. Being adjustable would be nice as well. I'd like to stay under $350, but am keeping an open mind on budging a bit off that.

What I want to do.
I'm an amateur wanting to get better at precision shooting. Right now at 100 yards, but want to work my way up to 500-600. Won't be doing much free hand, mostly bench, maybe some prone shooting.

It seems with the heavy barrel and newer style action with the bottom bolt release limits my options.

My questions.
Is it possible and/or worth it to have a gunsmith improve the factory stock?
Will Savage sell me an Accustock and would that be a good option and how much?
Any input on different style of rear grip?
What specific recommendations do you have?

Lorenzo
07-22-2015, 05:58 AM
I would look at Boyds or Bell and Carlson for that price range. Possibly Choate.

Draftpick
08-08-2015, 08:55 AM
So I'm considering upgrading the stock on my rifle. For those who aren't familiar with this model, it's a .308, 18" heavy barrel, accutrigger, detachable mag, with bolt release on the trigger guard. It does NOT have the Accustock.

What I'm looking for.
I'm wanting to avoid wood and excessive weight in whatever stock I get. I'm looking for a tactical look. I haven't made up my mind on thumbhole, pistol(ish), or traditional style rear grip. Being adjustable would be nice as well. I'd like to stay under $350, but am keeping an open mind on budging a bit off that.

What I want to do.
I'm an amateur wanting to get better at precision shooting. Right now at 100 yards, but want to work my way up to 500-600. Won't be doing much free hand, mostly bench, maybe some prone shooting.

It seems with the heavy barrel and newer style action with the bottom bolt release limits my options.

My questions.

I have the same gun, and just like you amateur with working my way out to 500+ yards. But the boyds and the new bell and calrson stock are the main options in that price range. Choate stock 25-06-01 is an option but is also designed for top bolt release so there is a gap.

Draftpick
08-08-2015, 09:20 AM

What I'm looking for.

What I want to do.

My questions.

I have the same gun, and just like you amateur with working my way out to 500+ yards. But the boyds and the new bell and calrson stock are the main options in that price range. Choate stock 25-06-01 is an option but is also designed for top bolt release so there is a gap. Not sure there is a best option. The boyds have cracked on some people and there warranty is not great. And the bell carlson stock some people had problems with the rear tang screw but does have a lot of colors to choose from. Choate is full bed aluminum like the B/C but will have gaps and colors are limited to black so sho knows.

devildogandboy
08-08-2015, 03:19 PM
if you want to keep it light, then forget about the Choate as they are heavy. Bell & Carlson or Boyds will be lighter. i can't say what is best for you, that's personal preference. i have 3 of the Choate tactical stocks and for my use they are great! i also have the B&C stock and did have a problem with the rear trigger guard screw but a "fix" was easily accomplished. Boyd's, i have several setup mostly for hunting and they are very functional and for the money they are hard to beat!
hope you find what you are looking for!

Bruce