PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 FCP with Choate Tactical stock questions

pepperbelly
05-28-2010, 11:41 PM
A while back i bought a model 10FCP in a Choate Tactical stock. I just now finished mounting the scope. When I started mounting the bipod I noticed that the bipod adapter that came with the stock, that slides in the rail under the forearm, doesn't have a set screw. They advertise it as being a quick detach adapter. Is it not supposed to be in a fixed position under the stock?
It seems like my Harris bipod might pull tight enough against the stock to keep it in position, but if it moves under recoil I could end up chasing groups all over the target.
Is there a way to fix it in position? There is no set screw in the adapter or the slot.

Jim

sharpshooter
05-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Unfortunately, that's the way they were designed, to snug up when the bipod is tightened. If you want a better set up you can always use a Bipod Boss.

pepperbelly
05-29-2010, 12:25 AM
This will more than likely be OK. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something, or having a brain fart.

Jim

pepperbelly
05-30-2010, 05:54 PM
They moved my topic to aftermarket stocks for some reason. My rifle came with the Choate Tactical stock new.

Jim

bendigo78
06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I saw one of those in a Cabelas in MN. The price was awesome and I kick myself for not bringing it home. It had that new tactical choate stock and I'm 99% sure it had a detachable mag in a 26" .308. I think it had a $699 NIB price tag on it. I haven't found one anywhere and I work part time at a gun shop.

pepperbelly
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Bendigo78, that is the rifle I bought. It does have the Choate Tactical stock, detachable magazine, 26" barrel with a 1 in 10" twist rate and was $699.00 at the Cabela's by me.
There were about 10 early in the week. By the time I went on Saturday there were 2 left and the other was on hold. The guy there said they were being discontinued. Apparently Savage was raising the price to Cabela's and they didn't want to pay more- or charge more.
For that price it was an easy decision for me.

It now has a Harris swiveling 6"-9" bipod, a Farrell 20moa base, low Seekin's rings and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope with mildot reticle.
All I need now is time to go sight it in.

Jim

bendigo78
06-02-2010, 10:27 PM
That was a SWEET DEAL! That stock is well thought out. Dealer cost on that rifle in the tupperware is like $520. I may just have to call the Cabelas where I saw it and drive the 5 hours each way to get it. I'm getting ready to do a 800yrd tactical match and thats what I was looking at it for. Instead I dropped the money on a scope and threw it on a dpms tac 20 .308 and am making due.

esmith908
07-01-2010, 01:03 PM
You can get another adapter, MIDWAYUSA, PART# 749685, choate ultimate sniper& varmint stock bipod adapter $14 THIS ONE is longer and has a nice little set screw.I tapped the one I bought and put a piece of picattiny rail to mount my GG&G HEAVY DUTY BIPOD very happy with results.

Balljoint
07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Purchased the same rifle not long ago and just now have installed an adjustable cheek piece from http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com /index.html works well

AustinCQC
07-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Balljoint - did you get the m1a/m14 cheek piece? Is there anyway you can send me a pic? I'd much rather have that than the ones that came with my rifle.

I bought the same rifle at the cabela's here in Texas. They didn't even know they had it until one of my buddies got in trouble that works there and had to do some cleaning in the back. I actually called Choate to find out if it was a mistake or not. The sweetest ole lady told me that Savage wanted it that way so that it would work with the Harris Bi-pod.

I'm planning on sending my barrel to get it cut down and threaded for a brake and while that's being done, slim the forend down a bit and reinforce it with some fiberglass. It flexes way too much for me (definitely not enough to touch the barrel...but it just feels hokey).