PDA

View Full Version : Shooting problem

sc1911cwp
07-18-2015, 10:15 AM
After doing a minor repair and putting the Savage 12 Palma back together and properly torqued I headed to the range. First shot to rezero the NF scope is dead on at 100 yards. Second and third shots off 2 inches down and right. No problem. They overlap and the first shot was to foul the bore. So just to make sure I fire a fourth shot and nothing. I can't pull back the bolt. No safety on. I try again. Nothing. Trigger won't release. So I pull back the bolt which pulls the brass shell back spilling powder into the action. Bullet is stuck in the lands that I removed when I got home. So I never worked on the bolt or changed anything when I changed the bolt handle. Why did it not fire? How did the bullet get pushed into the lands? I never had this happen before and the bullet is Factory Nosler in 155 grain which is good in that rifle. No excessive length. I plan to break down the rifle and thoroughly clean it and assemble it again. Any thoughts?

short round
07-18-2015, 10:44 PM
Stuck in lands, bullet seated long. Misfire, was there a dent in primer, if not and this is accutrigger, finger did not pull back safety blade in trigger before trigger was depressed.

darkker
07-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Yep, But definitly need more info about the primer.
Sounds like typical savage accu-trigger "half-drop". They have bag geometry and when you adjust things to the lightest setting, they begin to drop prior to the safety blade of the accu-trigger getting out of the way.

Fotheringill
08-13-2015, 03:50 PM
I have a 12 in 223 with precision chamber and accutrigger. All was good until I tried some Federal Super Duper 80 grain rounds. First one jammed in when I tried to close the bolt. I needed a very long wooden dowel to get it out after the casing came out with all of the powder. It was just a tad too long. Federal never answered my inquiry. A pal at the range reseated the other 79 rounds. Shot real tight.

eddiesindian
09-03-2015, 06:29 PM
After doing a minor repair and putting the Savage 12 Palma back together and properly torqued I headed to the range. First shot to rezero the NF scope is dead on at 100 yards. Second and third shots off 2 inches down and right. No problem. They overlap and the first shot was to foul the bore. So just to make sure I fire a fourth shot and nothing. I can't pull back the bolt. No safety on. I try again. Nothing. Trigger won't release. So I pull back the bolt which pulls the brass shell back spilling powder into the action. Bullet is stuck in the lands that I removed when I got home. So I never worked on the bolt or changed anything when I changed the bolt handle. Why did it not fire? How did the bullet get pushed into the lands? I never had this happen before and the bullet is Factory Nosler in 155 grain which is good in that rifle. No excessive length. I plan to break down the rifle and thoroughly clean it and assemble it again. Any thoughts?

Id measure the OAL from the rest of your unfired Nosler. accutrig to light of adj. as others stated