PDA

View Full Version : New/Used Savage 111 300 WM Questions

Russmerle
07-17-2015, 01:54 PM
All,
I just purchased a Savage 111 300WM w/ top bolt release, side button detachable box magazine, and small shank barrel. My main purpose for this rifle was to build a good range/competition rifle capable of 1k yard precision shooting in F-class competition. I went with savage because I know they are accurate guns w/ easy to install barrels (I will pick up the headspace gauges when the time comes)...

Question #1: The rifle stock options are few and far between for the long action DBM rifles... Choate was my best option until I found out they don't make one for long action DBM. Because my stock options are few and far between; I've also realized the issue of guaranteeing the stock I do purchase fits a varmint or bull contour barrel. Do you have a tactical stock in mind (thick upright palm swell, aluminum bedding block) that would work with my rifle?

Question #2: I am a fan of Criterion and heard Shilen barrels are also good but the ordering process for both is pretty complicated... Are there any barrel manufacturers out there that make high quality barrels available in a point, click, add to cart and buy format?

I need some of you trendsetters to help me out. If you've had any experience with this, please share. I know I need to measure receiver bolt spacing, and to ensure the barrel shank is correct (mine is a savage small (standard) shank size)....

rjtfroggy
07-17-2015, 04:00 PM
First off congrats. on nice rifle buy.
Unfortunately you will not find an aftermarket stock for it(not new anyway) they just aren't made. That said you could always turn it into a blind mag with no problems or go total custom build if the stock builder has the program for side button( I doubt it).
As for barrels try Northland shooting Supply or one of the other vendors here on the site they usually have some barrels in stock, if not Brunno's always has barrel blanks for sale.
Good Luck.

pepper savage 111
07-17-2015, 06:59 PM
+1 for Northland. Also, you can get the Choate Stock and have CDI inlet it for one of their DBM Bottom metals. I think they make a bottom metal to accomodate magnums. And it takes Accuracy International mags.

pepper savage 111
07-17-2015, 07:02 PM
You can get the stock, mags, and bottom metal from CDI, too. It's nice and convenient.

Harriss
07-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Both Midway and Brownells have discontinued the 300 Win Mag barrel on their websites. I wanted to buy a new barrel for my 110 in a belted magnum caliber and could only get one from E. R. Shaw or Shilen and I had to send them my gun for them to fit the barrel on and test fire. Cost was $400-500. I bought a used 7 mm Rem Mag barrel from a 111 through gunbroker. expecting delivery Monday, 7/20/15. I'll see how it goes.

Russmerle
07-22-2015, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the recommendations fellas.

Update:

Though the seller has received payment and claims that he has shipped the rifle, I have yet to acquire it. The seller sent me a tracking number that does not work and when I tried to get the correct information, he has failed to get in touch with me. This was a Gunbroker purchase and I have never had any issue purchasing firearms on that website. But as much as I do business there, it is bound to happen I suppose. So, I am hoping to receive the rifle that I have bought and paid for in the near future but will nix the chassis hunt for now. I wasn't going to purchase the chassis until I had rifle in hand; but I just thought it would have happened by now.

With that said; XLR industries does not make their Element Chassis for the Savage long action due to the huge length of the savage LA receiver and their max length that can fit in the CNC machine... That means if I went with them I would have to buy the "tube gun" Evolution Chassis and I don't want to pay their price tag nor do I like the looks of it. It is a cool looking chassis, just not my thing.

I am now thinking I will have to go with the MDT LSS Chassis from Brownells. They are on sale for $376 and I can add a PRS stock to it for what the XLR Element Chassis would cost...

But who knows; I may not get my rifle so this could all be for not. I guess the guy might be upset that the rifle sold for $248 but that could just be my negativity creeping in…

Heavyweight
07-22-2015, 07:37 PM
I went with a McMillan A5 stock for my long action 116 in 300 win mag. It comes pillar bedded with a barrel channel that has ample room for varmint barrels or heavier. It was drop in ready for my Savage DBM. I bought one out of McMillan's inventory so I wouldn't have to wait six months for a special order. It wasn't cheap at $648....but it was worth it.

Good luck on your rifle. I'm sure it will arrive.

Heavyweight