PDA

View Full Version : Converting an Axis 223 Bolt to 6.5CM

kamml
07-16-2015, 06:57 AM
I bought an Axis 223 last year after I had heard they were tack drivers. Sure enough it is a less than 1 moa rifle after the trigger work. Also I stuck a Boyds stock in place of the Tupperware number that came with it so with its Nikon 3-9 it is a very good varmit rifle, easy to carry and handy to shoot. But the "build a rifle" bug has got me again and I am tired of messing around with ARs. So I decided to convert my Axis to 6.5 Creedmoor. I ordered a great barrel in small shank Savage but I know I have to change over the bolt and maybe the magazine. Can I or should I swap out to a full size recoil lug too. Any advice on this conversion would be appreciated.

Rosco
07-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Kamml, Welcome to the wonderful world of Savagitis. Good news is the conversion isn't difficult at all you will simply need to change the bolt head to .473 size and the magazine, spring and follower to the 308.

Then get yourself some headspace gauges and a barrel wrench and you should be good to go.

kamml
07-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Rosco, I thought it would be pretty easy, thanks for the advice. I have got to buy the barrel wrench and barrel vice and torgue wrench as well.