PDA

View Full Version : "New" Shilen Barrel With Copper Fouling

garyatllp
07-14-2015, 06:36 PM
Purchased a new shilen barrel from a popular mail order site. It is a standard 6 groove stainless match in .243. I'm concerned because
there is copper fouling at the end of the barrel and I can tell it's been threaded into a receiver. Don't have a borescope to inspect further
I've heard Shilen does a 1 shot function fire test,would this account for what I'm seeing or did I get something that was used, returned,
and restocked. I would think a function fired barrel would be cleaned good before it was sent out the door? This is my first savage pre-fit,
any comments from those that have purchased new barrels?

wbm
07-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Hard to say. I never got a new Shilen with copper fouling. Call Shilen and ask.

LongRange
07-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Ive had several new shilen barrels and to be honest ive never noticed copper in any of them but i really wasnt looking for it. I can tell you i always run a few patches through my new barrels and have never pulled any carbon/soot or copper out of them....id call shilen and ask if they test fire the new barrels because ive never heard they do...if they say no id be calling who ever you got the barrel from.

earl39
07-14-2015, 11:13 PM
I would have to agree I have never had copper and a new barrel. I have had to clean Metal shavings And cutting oil out of a new barrel

sharpshooter
07-16-2015, 12:13 AM
I really doubt it is copper. It's most probably discoloration from heat treat. I don't know you assertain it was threaded on a reciever, but I would bet if it was screwed on anything, it was a thread guage.

garyatllp
07-16-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm new to posting on this thread and I appreciate the constructive replies. Shilen responded to me "We do not test fire all barrels, the only time they are fired is when we do an install, our barreled actions, our custom rifles and on some inspects sent in by customers". Makes sense to me. The barrel will be returned.