PDA

View Full Version : Can Not Install Bolt in Hog Hunter

wingspar
07-11-2015, 05:52 PM
Yesterday I took my Hog Hunter to the range to put some reloads thru my Chrono. Round #8 would not chamber. Could not close the bolt, nor could I close the bolt far enough to engage the extractor, so I took the bolt out. It took a cleaning rod to get the round out. It came out very easy. Now, I can not reinstall the bolt. The bottom lever of the Cocking Indicator (#1 in the photo) will stop right where arrow #2 points to in the photo. I can not pull the trigger far enough to be able to engage the cocking indicator so I can reinstall the bolt. What happened?

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/160707833/original.jpg

LoneWolf
07-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Have you tried adjusting the over travel screw? You may need to tune the trigger a bit.

wingspar
07-11-2015, 08:04 PM
I have not touched the trigger mechanism at all. Took this photo when the gun was brand new. Something I do with every gun purchase is shoot dozens of photos before I ever shoot the gun. I hesitate to mess with triggers. I have about 200 rounds thru the gun.

Why would this happen all of a sudden?

wingspar
07-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Ok, never mind this thread. Let it die. I just figured it out, and it’s so stupid I’m not going to say what the problem was, but suffice to say the trigger won’t work if the safety is on, and I don’t even remember touching the safety at the range yesterday. Maybe I snagged the safety with the bolt when removing it at the range? No clue. Sitting in the corner with Dunce Cap on. :stupid:

BlueDog
07-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Wingspar, the part you have labeled as #1 is your sear. Your photo looks completely normal to me. Once cocked the sear is in that position until you close the bolt, the sear then rests on your labeled #2. Are you pushing the bolt release lever AND holding back the trigger as you attempt to slide in the bolt?

wingspar
07-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Wingspar, the part you have labeled as #1 is your sear. Your photo looks completely normal to me. Once cocked the sear is in that position until you close the bolt, the sear then rests on your labeled #2. Are you pushing the bolt release lever AND holding back the trigger as you attempt to slide in the bolt?

Looks like we were posting at the same time. Take a look at my last post.

BlueDog
07-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Wingspar, you must of typed that as I was typing! Lol. Don't worry about mistakes, ask me how I found out my wheels on the left side of my Willy's Jeep are left handed thread.... Glad you got it figured out.

gotcha
07-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Oops!

foxx
07-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Don't feel stupid. I've done that a 100 times. I always think something's wrong and it's just the safety. Immediately I think something is messed up, panic for a sec and then I realize my mistake. Lately I just curse myself and say, "did it again" before I even bother to confirm its the safety. It's just the way it is.

LoneWolf
07-11-2015, 10:03 PM
It's just how the Savage design works. Sometimes it will get you.

devildogandboy
07-11-2015, 10:57 PM
LOL, your not the first and won't be the last! my 300rum would kick the safety on after each shot until i got that fixed, took me a while at first to realize what happend.

Bruce