PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 CM model 12 LRP

Jtram201
07-10-2015, 09:33 PM
To start with I am a lefty that shoots right handed bolts. Recently had neck surgery with a new metal rod from c-3 to C-7 somewhat the reason for the 6.5 CM because of reduced recoil, so I have been told.

I have been trying to do my homework on this new rifle. I was initially directed to the 6.5 CM and then others have suggested at 308 with muzzle breaks. I will probably never shoot a competition except maybe with friends. I have looked at the 12 LRP and the 10 FLCP. I do reload and know the 308 stuff is cheaper and easier to get. I have checked on trying to find the 10 FLCP but local gun shops are telling me they can't see them to order them yet.

So please chime in with advice. I have never bought or owned a savage but the out of the box accuracy has me wanting one. Others have tried to steer me to the big "R" as my rifle choice but I don't want to buy the rifle and spend another 1k on it to make it shoot for what I will be doing.

Thanks in advance
Jim

LongRange
07-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Youll be happy with any 6.5....i prefer the 260 over the creed because of brass choices and components are just as easy to get for a 6.5...plus the 6.5 has better ballistics than a 308.

Also the 12 LPR is a good choice...my buddy shot a factory 12 LPR in 260 and shot in the low to mid 30s in our long range varmint matches.

Jtram201
07-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks LongRange. I appreciate the reply. I was afraid of the 308 I sure don't want to shake this new titanium hardware loose.

LongRange
07-10-2015, 10:22 PM
The heavier the bullet the more recoil....if your looking for accurate light recoil you might want go do a little research on the 6mms.

eddiesindian
07-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Just recently went 6.5 in 260 remington. I've been shooting 308 for years and I can honestly say that my 308 s are just as accurate as the 260. Paid my dews on load development as well.
All my 308s have muzzle breaks and my load ddevelopment leans towards lighter weight charges due to blown rotator cuff. Between the breaks and lighter weight charges, it's a piece of cake (really).
Now my LRP Model 12 in 260 has no break. The recoil isn't all that bad but it's there without a doubt more so with 140gr as opposed to 130gr bergers.
For me ? It's just plain fun to get new/different calibers and work on new load ddevelopment , it's always a learning experience .
You'll like your new 6.5 . Soon as you figure out what it likes? Then the happier you'll be.
I was gonna go 6.5 cm as well but opted to go 260 remington for the reasons Dave mentioned.

Jtram201
07-11-2015, 12:35 AM
Thanks Eddie, if you could would you put a break on the 260 to tame it a bit more?

Newsshooter
07-11-2015, 01:34 AM
I have two 6.5 CM, one Savage LRP and one in a Stiller action and I have brakes on both of them. It wasn't for recoil but to be able to stay on target better in matches. That being said it works well enough that my 12 year old nephew who weighs about 65 lbs was able to watch a steel ram fall in the scope the first time he shot my rifle on his third shot at 500 meters. He knocked the first two down but didn't see them fall. Before that he had shot a .22 twice. Brakes work, but they also add more noise and can blast nearby shooters. Don't notice it so much when shooting but do when standing or shooting nearby another shooter with a brake. I'll put electronic muffs over earplugs to help with the loud noise and it allows me to hear conversations or instructions on the shooting line. Best deal on a brake is from Ross Schuler, I have two and a friend has one as well. He'll install the brakes too, http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooters/RossMuzzleBrakes.htm.

The 6.5/260 also shoots flatter than the .308. And if you ever want factory ammo you can get the 6.5 pretty reasonably priced. I've never paid more than 24/box for the 140 amax and picked up the a few hundred of the winchester 140 bthp for less than 20/bx on sale. Reloading is a wash, 6.5 CM takes a little less powder than the 260 but they shoot the same bullets at similar speeds. Some have complained about the Hornady brass, or just prefer Lapua for the 260, but I have several firings on my original cases and I've only tossed a handful for loose primer pockets. Guys that I shoot in matches with use a variety of bullets, 142 SMK, 140 AMax, 139 Scenar, 140 bergers, and 130 bergers....

Dennis
07-11-2015, 05:46 AM
I free recoil shoot my 6br, my 6BRX, and my 6 Dasher. Next is my 6.5x47 shooting 123 grain Secnars.

Very Very light recoil with all of the above, and most of all, they will get the job done.

JMO, Dennis

Jtram201
07-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm looking forward to this rifle

eddiesindian
07-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks Eddie, if you could would you put a break on the 260 to tame it a bit more?

I would if we had a decent machinest to thread the barrel but theres none to be found around here.
So, Im shooting this one no brake