PDA

View Full Version : Barrel throat and questions

rc109a
07-10-2015, 04:53 PM
I recently had a bad experience with Savage. To recap, my rifle would shoot 3 rounds in 1.4 inch groups. If you fired a fourth your now at 3-4 inches. A fifth round would put you out to five+ inches. This was repeated on a rest and by savage themselves. Since the first three out of the gate fell less then 1.5 inches, the gun was considered good to go and savage would not do anything. Loads were tried and several types of powder bulletin combinations did nothing. So I decided to get a new barrel from Mcgowen.

My gunsmith said he could make the old barrel shoot by removing the factory compensator. I told him not to touch it, but just remove the barrel and install the new one. A few days later he called to say he was glad he did not mess with the barrel. Apparently the throat is way to long. He stated the old barrel would have needed to be re chambered. As he described it, there was a huge jump from the chamber to the lands/groves.

The new barrel was installed and passed the checks (go/no go). It does not like to chamber factory ammo, but my reloads are snug.

So now you have read the long story, here are the questions:

What should I do with the old barrel? Should I call savage and mess with it or what? Maybe get them to replace or fix it (new build)?

The new barreled action will not load factory. Should I worry about it since my reloads fit snug maybe (match chambers like this)?
Mcgowen did a beautiful job and I am eager to shoot it but just want to see if I should have the gunsmith look at the new barrel and see why?
Thanks for the advice...

DanSavage
07-10-2015, 06:09 PM
The gunsmith probably set the head space too tight is all. You could pull a bullet from a factory round and see if the brass still chambers hard.

If it does, have the gunsmith reset the head space so it will chamber factory ammo.

Old barrel is a tomato stake.
Dan

243LPR
07-10-2015, 08:02 PM
I would have wanted to try it without the factory comp just to see what it would do. Was the factory barrel a sporter or varmint barrel? Sounds to me like either the bedding or hot barrel was changing POI.

barrel-nut
07-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Your factory barrel is not stress relieved, and as such will begin to wander when shot hot. Not a defect from the factory, just a characteristic of mass-produced barrels. As to your questions,
1. Become a paid member here and sell it on the classifieds
2. Don't waste your time. Savage won't touch it now that you pulled it off.
3. Only worry about it if shooting factory ammo is important to you. DanSavage is spot on.

rc109a
07-11-2015, 09:03 AM
I would have wanted to try it without the factory comp just to see what it would do. Was the factory barrel a sporter or varmint barrel? Sounds to me like either the bedding or hot barrel was changing POI.

Shot it both ways and same results. It is a sporter profile. I was giving ten minutes between shots, opening the bolt and even had fan on it at one time to cool it off (never shot in temps above 80). Made no difference. Even savage shot it and produced the same results.

I don't think anyone would even want the old barrel since it shot so bad with me, but I may be wrong.

jb6.5
07-11-2015, 11:10 AM
I've took some old barrels that didn't shoot and rechambered and recrowned em and got some descent accuracy but, it didn't have to pay to get it done. To tell you the truth, if your gonna spend money on lathe work, do it on a good barrel.

FW Conch
07-11-2015, 01:48 PM
"rc", you didn't mention what your factory rifle was chambered in? Many people lately have been getting short chambers, seems your luck went the other way.

If used as a "hunting" barrel, I would be ok with a decent 3 round group. You could load some long-heavy bullets out close to the lands and see how it shoots. Maybe you could get your "smith" to have pity on you and re chamber it for a bargain price:-). I have been known to do a home re chamber job on "tomato stakes" and none have turned out any worse than when I started :-).

The guys are right, Savage has given you the last word. Especially since the barrel has been removed :-(.

Good Luck ... Good Shooting ... Jim :-)

rc109a
07-11-2015, 09:06 PM
The way the gunsmith explained how long the throat is was that there was almost no way to load a bullet that long in the case and still have it fit into the mag to reach even close to the lands.

The chamber is 308.

DanSavage
07-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Since it is a sporter,, you could possibly have it rechambered in 30/06. Ask the smith if that would get you close enough to the lands. You'd have to use it as a single shot though. But you could have it chambered and try to sell it.

rc109a
07-12-2015, 08:45 PM
I hate to think this barrel is scrap. I wonder if the adjustable muzzle brake is worth anything. I hate throwing away gun parts...

barrel-nut
07-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Don't throw it away. Sell it "as-is" and cut your losses.

FW Conch
07-13-2015, 11:01 AM
I'll bet if you gave that barrel to your smith it would end up chambered into something useful ? :-)

JMHO :-)

Edit ... But if you sell it, sell it with "full disclosure".

FW Conch
07-14-2015, 12:40 PM
rc109a, Your ethics are admirable! :-)

Good Luck ... Good Shooting ... Jim :-)

rc109a
07-15-2015, 06:32 PM
I sold the barrel with full disclosure. The stock is pending. I am glad someone can use the parts. I hope they do better then me. Now I will use the money to work on my dads 223(converting from left hand to right).

devildogandboy
07-15-2015, 08:06 PM
yes, rc109a did a full disclosure on it and i was following the story from the beginning. i wanted the brake for another barrel i have but now i have another barrel to play with. being retired it just gives me a little something extra to tinker with and kill time.

thanks rc109a

Bruce