PDA

View Full Version : Brain Phart

Uncle Jack
05-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Okay, my idle 0200 thought for the day.

The engraving on replacement barrels almost never line up as to be legible in the right place. Savage barrels are threaded 20TPI and that breaks down to .050" per full turn.

Is it possible to shim or shorten the floating bolt head enough to correct this problem?

uj

pa hog
05-27-2010, 04:36 PM
You'd have to move the pin that holds the bolt head on, forward or backward too. That would pose all kinda challenges,you'd actually have to move the hole in front of the bolt body. A rechambered barrel could be timed to straitin it out. Stop thinking Jack your scarin us!

Uncle Jack
05-27-2010, 04:48 PM
".....Stop thinking Jack your scarin us!"

Kinda scares me too.....I used to think about better things at 2:00 in the morning.

uj

AVanGorder
05-28-2010, 08:51 AM
A different thickness recoil lug would do it

My mistake, I misread read the original question.

Uncle Jack
05-28-2010, 09:07 AM

How?

uj

AVanGorder
05-28-2010, 02:24 PM

How?

uj

Nevermind, I was thinking of the nut, not the barrel.

pa hog
05-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Neither the nut or lug would make a differance, The Lug slides freely over the barrel threads while it's already headspaced and nut just locks it in place.

Cycler
05-28-2010, 08:27 PM
How about buying a vibrating engraving pen and just etch the info you want in the right place after the barrel is installed. Can't hurt to have the same info in more than one place can it?

Uncle Jack
05-28-2010, 09:10 PM
How about buying a vibrating engraving pen and just etch the info you want in the right place after the barrel is installed. Can't hurt to have the same info in more than one place can it?

Have you ever tried to use a "vibrating engraving pen " on a steel rifle barrel?

uj

Blue Avenger
05-28-2010, 09:36 PM

Have you ever tried to use a "vibrating engraving pen " on a steel rifle barrel?

uj
nope, not gonna get caught trying that! Some times i can think ahead!!!!