PDA

View Full Version : Please schoo; me on scope

Texan79423
07-09-2015, 08:02 AM
I have a savage model 10 P-SR in 308. I bought a Vortex Viper HS-T scope to learn adjustments, MOA etc.. Bought it because scope has 70 MOA adjustments, 35 up/35 down and 12 MOA per revolution, good eye relief, and a zero stop.
Scope sits on factory mounted o MOA base with lepould medium height rings. Zero rifle at 100 yards and when shimming the scope for a positive stop I noticed the turrent base indicated two and a half turns to zero and I had to use all but 4 of the shims on the elevation turrent.

Am I correct that the scope elevation is zeroed at maybe 28-30 MOA with maybe 5 MOA of elevation left? I my thinking I may need a 20 MOA base for elevation and more MOA for longer range.
This will be a learner bench/range gun and occasional critter hunter.

I am finding that what I know is not what I thought I knew.

J.Baker
07-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Simple enough to check, how many minutes to you have left when you turn the dial now that you have your zero stop set?

Texan79423
07-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Thanks baker for the rely I do appreciate the input. I'll get to cranking on it.

darkker
07-10-2015, 03:49 PM
I bought a Vortex Viper HS-T scope to learn adjustments, MOA etc..

Just remember that is a SFP(second focal plane) scope, so while you are "learning adjustments" you can only have the turrets adjust properly at 1 magnification setting; usually that is max.
So without being on the correct power setting, you won't be dialing the amount you think you are.

earl39
07-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Just remember that is a SFP(second focal plane) scope, so while you are "learning adjustments" you can only have the turrets adjust properly at 1 magnification setting; usually that is max.
So without being on the correct power setting, you won't be dialing the amount you think you are.

Wrong darkker........ You will adjust exactly what you turn the turrets for (allowing for true accuracy of the adjustment). What will happen is you will need to be at the specified magnification to read what that adjustment should be. 1 MOA or MIL is just that nothing more or less. Being able to ascertain how much adjustment you need at any power is where the FFP scopes come into their own and SFP scopes fall on their respective arse's

darkker
07-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Which is exactly what I said, then you repeated.
On a SFP scope adjustments will NOT match the reticle marks, save at one magnification.
So if you want to learn to read your misses in the reticle and adjust, you must do so at the one magnification only.

On a FFP scope the reticle changes size with power, only relative to you. Relative to the target, the reticle is always only one size. So adjustments will be true to what you shot at, at any magnification.

sharpshooter
07-11-2015, 10:45 PM
I think you are both confused....If you move the turret 1 click, or 1 minute that's what it will move, no matter what reticle or focal plane. Mil dots or moa dots in SFP will only be relative at a specific power relative to the spacing between them, but the center crosshair will always remain the same

barrel-nut
07-11-2015, 10:56 PM
All three of y'all are saying the same thing, in a slightly different way. So everybody's a winner. 👍

foxx
07-11-2015, 11:00 PM
I'm almost afraid to enter this fray, but here I go: Sounds to me as though you are all aware that the click will move the center of the reticle 1/10 mil or 1/4 moa. Its just a question of how you determine how many clicks to make. Some scopes are easier for some people to make the determination than other scopes are. But, that is a different issue than what the OP asked about. oh, well.

foxx
07-11-2015, 11:01 PM
LOL!

There ya go, barrel nut!

We have three weiners! :)

Oh, dang, I hope they think that's funny.

earl39
07-12-2015, 05:36 AM
No darkker, you said "you can only have the turrents adjust properly at 1 magnification setting" the turrents will adjust the same at all settings. Using mildot or center dot to judge size or hold off is where the difference is.

darkker
07-12-2015, 09:33 AM
As Foxx & Nut pointed out we are talking the same thing, before my second post clarified this.

Technically the turrets always adjust a fixed amount, you are correct. But if that specific amount that was adjusted, doesn't correctly translate to match the reticle; except at one magnification only. Then without having it pointed out to the OP, he could find himself chasing demons with the scope.

Texan,
Read your manual to find out what power your scope tracks on. Meaning there is only one magnification setting that the click adjustments and reticle value match.

pitsnipe
07-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Texan79423,

Did you get all of that? We did. But I have seen conversations like this, sending folks like you, into a tail spin. Ask for clarity if need be. The knowledge base that resides on this forum is hundreds of years in the making (average combined age of a few of us).
Good luck,

Snipe