PDA

View Full Version : shooting rest recommendations

blink
07-08-2015, 01:37 PM
any preference or recommendations on a shooting rest,i have a matrix now but i would like to take ME out of the equation.
i have tried a multitude of different loads and for the life of me can't find any particular load or seating depth that i can say is "the load".
i thought i had it with 26.4gn of varget with 55gn vmax but my last range visit did not prove to be as promising as i hoped.
i am looking at the lead sled plus now to perhaps remove me from the shot.my groups are decent but hard to select a load that it likes as it seems to like it all and when i think i found the perfect load i can't seem to duplicate it so i'm just guessing that I am the problem?
very frustrating.

earl39
07-08-2015, 02:35 PM
before you start doubting yourself so much have you tried other powders? I never could get varget to work for me and had to switch powders. Went to RL-15 in the 223 and BLC-2 in the 308.

olddav
07-08-2015, 03:32 PM
If you are testing hunting loads then I would suggest that you use sand bags as front rest as well as for the rear. Sand bags offer a stable platform for testing such loads. If however you looking for single hole groups or the like there of then I have no idea.

darkker
07-08-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm not a fan of the lead sled. I use a bipod in front and me in the back for my 1,000+ shooting.
Loading extruded powder by weight and not volume can cause "demons" to appear. Burning rate is controlled by geometry, not weight.

If you jump to the Hide, or SHLowlight's youtube page, he has a few very good videos on "Recoil Management". Lots of people struggle with this issue.

Robinhood
07-09-2015, 12:25 AM
Darkker. You are starting to convince me. What powder measure do you use?

darkker
07-09-2015, 12:56 AM
I do use dippers occasionally, but I use a modified Lee PPM. They have a tab to prevent over travel, I cut it off to be able to completely dump the charge. One thing many over look with that measure is lube/static.
I took mine apart and took some very very fine, pure graphite powder and rubbed the crap out of every single surface.
Never had any of the "usual" issues people complain of.

blink
07-10-2015, 05:35 PM
thanks for the advice,i picked up 2 different rests the other day to try out tomorrow.
the rock setup was on sale and i also grabbed a front and rear bag combo,we'll see what one i prefer and go from there.
i do like the matrix rest but find it bulky and shooting left handed,the controls are awkward if not impossible to adjust.

243LPR
07-10-2015, 08:08 PM
I only use a bipod on front and sand bags for the rear. Our bench tops are concrete so I put a 1/2" rubber mat under the bipod.Solid for me but then I can only shoot out to 200 yds at my range. I use the same set up for varminting also.

JCalhoun
07-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Blink,

It may be operator error which is common. Are you flinching? Are you practicing proper follow through?

It could be your position. Are you in that same position each time?

If it is not you, how about what you are shooting on. Is it a solid bench, ground, cement or a truck hood, log etc?

jerry shaw
07-18-2015, 11:56 AM
I have had a lot of good luck with a couple of rests.
First, I really like the Sinclair bipod. It works really well and is pretty easy to adjust and work with.
Second, I like the front rests built and sold by Grizzly Industrial.
They both are really well built and worth the money. I figure you can't get a better rest without spending a whole lot more. And they both are a huge step up in performance from rests that are at the next lower price level.
Not dirt cheap, but one step away from cheap.
I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Then, get a decent medium to heavy rear bag. Too light is not your friend. I like the Protektor bags. They aren't too pricey, but they work. You can find them at the Sinclair website or at Graf's.
Good luck.