PDA

View Full Version : Installed SSS Tactical bolt handle and

LouB
05-27-2010, 07:44 AM
I installed a SSS tactical bolt handle and a reduced power SSS Accutrigger spring (to reduce trigger pull minimum from 2.5# to 1.5#) in my savage Model 12. I now can't engage the safety with the trigger group installed. The safety movement is OK until I install the trigger group. What did I do wrong? Thanks.

Lou

Uncle Jack
05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Why not ask SSS?

sshooter@wcoil.com (http://sshooter@wcoil.com)

uj

dieselten
05-27-2010, 10:33 AM
make sure the tiny little tip of the rear most spring is inserted into the hole in the receiver and connects with the bottom of the safety thumbpiece.

82boy
05-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I installed a SSS tactical bolt handle and a reduced power SSS Accutrigger spring (to reduce trigger pull minimum from 2.5# to 1.5#) in my savage Model 12.

What is a "Reduced power SSS Accu-trigger spring?"

pdog06
05-27-2010, 02:25 PM
pretty sure he means he replaced his standard spring with a "varmint accutrigger" spring. SSS will sell those springs.

If all you changed was the spring(bolthandle wouldnt do that) it shoulda been an easy swap. I'd take it back apart and try it again. Something is binding somewhere.

LouB
05-27-2010, 05:22 PM
I have e-mailed SSS on my problem. I thought I'd check the experience of the group. I'll post SSS reply when received.

I have made an additional observation, with the bolt closed but not turned down, I can apply the safety and it is then effective and can be released with the bolt in a ready to fire configuration. However if I close the bolt and turn down the bolt handle, the safety cannot be applied.

There appears to be a set screw that is gooped up to prevent adjustment. It appears to protrude into the area of the safety, I wonder if the clearance with the change of the spring is too tight?

Thanks,
Lou

rinodods
05-28-2010, 02:30 AM
You can heat the area for a second to soften the "goop" and then pop it out if you think the screw needs adjustment. You should however use thread lock of some kind to ensure there is no movement after you are done. It is also pretty easy to get the metal tab on the safety bar under instead of over the crosspin ( ...I think it is under) but I don't think your safety would move at all if that were the case. I'm sure SSS will jump in and give you a hand though.

sharpshooter
05-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Have you checked to see if the bolt handle is closing all the way? If it doesn't, the locking bar won't engage the slot in the bolt handle. Are you sure that the trigger is staying cocked? With the lighter spring, it may trip when closing the bolt too hard and then the safety will not move at all.

LouB
05-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for all the advice. My current status is that I can engage the safety when the bolt is closed but not turned down. With the bolt turned down, I can disengage the safety and the rifle will fire normally. If left unfired, I can't re-engage the safety with the bolt handle down.

What is the function of the set screw just behind the accutension release spring.

diagram at:
http://www.sportwaysgunshed.co.nz/savage_accutrigger_review.htm

I think that may be interfering with the safety movement with the bolt turned down?

Thanks,
Lou

sharpshooter
05-29-2010, 10:18 PM
The safety screw is out of adjustment. It is the one full of goop, actually it is filled with a small soft plastic ball that is hammered in at the factory just to keep people from messing with it. Dig it out with a 1/8" drill bit so you can get to screw, and then back it off till the safety engages.

LouB
05-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks to all for the helpful input.

The problem was as sharpshooter described. The safety screw was out of adjustment (although it was unchanged from before the reduced power SSS accutrigger was substituted for the stock 2.5-6# spring. I guess the geometry changed a little interfering with safety movement.

I used Rinodods suggestion of using a heat gun to soften the "goop" and removed it with a sharpened paper clip ... indeed it is an impacted plastic pellet. Below is an allen socket to adjust the safety screw. I reduced the screw protrusion by a quarter of a turn and now the safety works as it should.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out. the rifle produced some 0.75"-0.95" 200 yard groups in celebration of its successful repair (178 HRN A-max and Nosler 155 HPBT Match bullets).

Lou