PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Is there any demand for Takedowns in a case?

Lee Davis
07-07-2015, 08:45 PM
I have 3 1914-25 takedowns right now, and intend to sell all of them. I bought them for the broken stocks, and have carved new stocks for all. But, what I really want to do is to make a premium walnut case for each rifle. I am a furnituremaker by profession, and I can produce some superb cases for rifles. But, is there a demand? What do you think? Oh, by the way, email me at radarcarve@comcast.net, and I shall send a free set of instructions on carving a butt stock and forearm. Lee Davis

Rick_W
07-08-2015, 09:21 AM
I think it's a niche market.

Few people would be willing to pay the price a truly nice custom wood case would cost just based on the price of quality wood.

Then, how much is your time invested in making a case worth?

I think you might sell some, but you would have to target a specific audience (and I don't think the typical Savage owner is in that audience).

curlymaple42
07-08-2015, 02:21 PM
I would agree with Rick. I am also a furniture maker and gun enthusiast and have made a few custom cases for guns over the years. Dueling pistols, Lugers, takedown Wild West Guns 458WWG rifle, AR15's, etc. The market is very slim for those types of fancy projects. Unless you find the right niche clientele who are willing to pay $500-1000 for a case, it probably isn't worth the time. I know what it takes to make a fitted custom case, and the $200 most would want to pay isn't anywhere near close to what we need to get!!! At least in a business/profit sense. If you are just doing it for fun, that's different. Some of the ones I have done I did just because, or partial trade, or whatever.

Robinhood
07-09-2015, 12:28 AM
The shotgunners might be interested.

J.Baker
07-09-2015, 03:49 AM
I would say the market would be almost non-existent. Those wanting a case are going to want an original vintage case because they are collectors, and then only if they have a very prestine, high value takedown model in need of a case for displaying/storing it.