PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 build

thatguyshm
07-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Hello,

So I have spent some time searching through the forums tonight, trying to find the answers to my questions. I have a barrel on order, brand new Stevens M200 sitting under my bed, and am getting ready to get a bunch of parts ordered in the next few days. That being said, I am having a hard time with stocks. I would like the Savage LA Bell and Carlson Medalist with blind mag. My rifle is a center feed, and the stock is for a stagger feed. Is it possible with a new guide box and magazine that I could use a blind mag for this?

If not, I would be open to the Hogue solid bedding block stock, but would have to find bottom metal, which seems is practically impossible to find. SSS doesn't have any, already heard back from them. I would like trigger guard and HFP both, as I want metal, winter hunting gets cold in Maine. Savage website is down until next week at the earliest.

My Stevens is a 300 WM right now, converting to 338-06. I have all ready to order a new bolt face, Timney trigger, .250" recoil lug, dies, Vortex rings, CCOPUSA one piece 0moa base, and still deciding between Nikon and Redfield Revolution glass for it. Will be getting it Ceracoted. Barrel will be finished as a heavy sporter, .750" at the muzzle.

I don't really know what to add, thats where I stand.

Seth

bosstom
07-07-2015, 08:29 PM
I just started working on getting my Stevens LA set up in the B&C staggered feed stock. I have only found a couple pics of this conversion completed, but I have read where people have and say the conversion is pretty easy.

Today I dropped the center feed mag box & follower in the stock without the L clip and bolted down the action. The back is the correct height, but the front is a little low and the bullet tip hit the aluminum bedding block and will not feed up the feed ramp. Tomorrow I'm gonna try and get the front of the box raised and hopefully get it feeding smooth.

Robinhood
07-07-2015, 08:30 PM
I has been my experience that the magwell on the stagger feed needs to be shimmed on the front to hold the centerfeed mag in. You would also need to slot the back of the action support for the L clip. Otherwise you could wedge or epoxy the who magazine in place if you wanted to do that.

defoxer
07-08-2015, 05:31 AM
Why the fascination with the '06 cartridges you guys???.....just go the 338winmag, keep the bolt face, ream out to clean it up if you feels the need.....and you're good.... few hundred fps over the 338'06...plus, you an screw the 300winmag when you feel like a 30cal.

thatguyshm
07-08-2015, 07:27 AM
So using existing equipment, shim the front of the mag box and it should work alright. So what if I ordered a new mag box from Numrich? Is there one that would work properly? They are not very expensive.

EDIT---- Also, bosstom what is the barrel channel like on the BC? Just wondering how much inletting will be required. Thank you again

As to why? I think the better question would be, why am I building this when I have two amazing 338 Federal rifles also? Its a want thing. Plus a barrel life thing. And I don't want a pencil thin 300 WM, next build will be my long range 300WM match on a Remmy 700, probably with a Remage conversion. Hopefully that answered your question? And if not, luckily its going to be sitting in my safe, not anyone elses! :) thanks everyone

shm