PDA

View Full Version : Cerakote question

Steel Rain
07-06-2015, 06:46 PM
So, I've got all my parts together and will be assembling my Savage soon. I'm looking ahead at coating the barreled action and stock. So, do I coat everything individually or assemble and headspace and then paint? I'm uncertain about assembling, headspacing, and then disassembling the bolt to paint the body. Will it need to be reheadspaced after reassembling the bolt? It's my first build so I'm just over thinking things I guess. I tried the search function and read through five pages of stuff but didn't find my answer. Thanks.

foxx
07-06-2015, 07:10 PM
I don't do Cerakote, but I've done quite a bit of GunKoting the past year. I always tear everything down to its smallest parts and bead blast then kote and bake them. Minimally, I would remove the trigger assembly and any plastic parts from the action and barrel. You likely can get away with keeping the barrel and action together so as to not have to worry about removing (or, more importantly, replacing it).

But, regardless, whenever you remove the barrel it must be re-checked for headspace. Some guys will put a sharp cut or scratch mark to serve as a witness mark in the nut and barrel so you can just tighten / turn the barrel and nut down so they are close to the same place using your previously fired brass as a gage and then further turn it till the witness marks line up again. I have never done so, but I assume it would work. It makes sense that it would. Certainly would want to make your mark on the underside of the barrel. There's no need to worry about head spacing just b/c you tear down the bolt assembly, though. That won't change anything if you reassemble the same parts. Just if you remove the barrel from the action or replace the bolt head or bolt with new parts.

stomp442
07-06-2015, 07:26 PM
I have done it both ways and I think taking it apart and stripping everything and coating separately is easier and better although it may take a bit longer.

Steel Rain
07-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

pepper savage 111
07-21-2015, 01:41 PM
I just separated the barreled action and stock, and removed the trigger. Turned out really well. I'm satisfied with it. I then used rustoleum camo over it so i can strip the pattern and reapply while keeping the protective base coat in tact.

foxx
07-21-2015, 02:02 PM
sounds good. pics?

Steel Rain
07-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Yep, let's see pics. What do you take the Rustoleum off with without damaging cerakote?

pepper savage 111
08-02-2015, 01:21 PM
http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y354/mrossim1/Mobile%20Uploads/20150712_155234_zpsehk0zgmz.jpg (http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/mrossim1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150712_155234_zpsehk0zgmz.jpg.html)

Here she is. I use acetone to remove the Rustoleum. You wint have an issue as long as the parts were prepped properly and the cerakote was applied and cured correctly.