PDA

View Full Version : which barrel maker for accurat 7mm SAUM?

BTSniper
07-06-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm looking to purchase a barrel for a standard small shank Savage action in 7MM SAUM for precision long range shooting, 30" bull, possible slight straight taper, possible flutes. I have many barrels already from different manufactures, Shilen, CBI, McGowan, LW, Pac-Nor etc. all have shot well for me . Many purchased from members here and the various vendors.

About the only thing I am settled on is the caliber, length and Savage standard size (small shank) action. I have read many great things about Bartlien barrels for this caliber and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a/another Pac-Nor, CBI, Krieger, Benchmark, Brux, Shilen, possibly even the new X-Caliber barrels. We are so lucky now days to have so many to choose from!

I'll be shooting VLD bullets from 150-190 grains so I'm looking at anything between 8-9 twist. Looking to get at least 3000FPS from the 180 grain bullets, possibly even 3050 as I hear the 180 VLDs have a good accuracy node there.

I have read that some of these barrel makers will not chamber a SAUM, WSM or RUM on a Savage standard small shank barrel. I have a 338 edge on a standard shank that shoots great so I am not worried about this but would certainly make a difference in who chambers their barrels for the mag size chambers.

I'm looking for any first hand info any of you might have for me on this caliber and barrels.

Thanks

BT

Hotolds442
07-07-2015, 03:25 AM
I'd go with Jim at Apache, and pick your manufacturer.
My 6.5 WSM is built on an Apache smithed X-Caliber small shank and I have zero complaints.

BTSniper
07-09-2015, 07:31 PM
I may be changing my mind to the 7mm-300wm?

Seems the longer I read on line the more I could convince myself to get a 7mm WSM, or 7mm SAUM or the 7mm-300WM but I already have a lot of 300 WM to neck down and I like the idea of "easily" reaching 3150 with the 180 grain VLD of the WM case rather then pushing the SAUM to the extreme. Plus I like the idea of shooting some 7mm pills heavier then 180 as well.

BT

psharon97
07-10-2015, 09:25 AM
I went with the 7mm remington magnum and have no regrets. I don't worry so much about sheer velocity; I worry more about precision and accuracy at long range. Unless I'm trying to hunt at long range, I'll learn and improve on external ballistics. The 180gr Berger Hybrid with 63g of Reloader 22 is an amazing load for that rifle.

Fred at SSS built the rifle using a Brux barrel.