PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Striker into a Rifle.

Savage Sniper
07-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Is it possible to Change the barrel and stock to make a Striker a Rifle?

Jamie
07-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Yes, it is possible and relatively easy. Although you will have a lot more stock options if you sell this and pick up a 4.40" screw spaced actioned.

big honkin jeep
07-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Might want to check BATFE regulations.
Pretty sure once you convert from a handgun to a rifle you cant go back to a handgun.
It dont think it will be a legal plug and play switcheroo toy.

Jamie
07-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Actually, ATF came out with a clarification letter a couple years ago about this stuff. If you have a pistol you can make it into a rifle and then go back to a pistol . Since it left the factory as a pistol, you are not making a pistol from a rifle.. Now, I am not a subscriber to the rifle action being made into a "pistol grip rifle" as some are. There is one key part of the definition most leave out, "fired from the shoulder". It may be the same as a pistol grip shotgun but when the Mossberg JIC hit the stores it was first sold as a handgun, then it was reclassified as "Any Other Weapon" if I remember correctly. The one thing it wasn't was a long gun. Now, they could be very right and me very wrong but until I see something absolute from ATF I will stick to pistol or undesignated actions.

Here is the link to the letter if anyone would like to read it. While primarily referring to Contenders it would apply to all rifles made from pistols and then going back to a pistol.

https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download

With all that stated, sell it to some one who wants a pistol and find yourself a lefty rifle action.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Build it and be done with it!! Only problem might be getting the proper trigger? (think Rifle Basix) I converted my XP 100 "pistol" into a rifle when I started having shoulder problems and the extended "reach" was a problem. Problem now gone but I still have the XP rifle. Even went as far as building a couple of "striker" type rigs out of Savage rifle actions. 16" barrel and 26" OAL and it's still a rifle, no matter what it looks like.
And you CAN convert it back into a pistol. Who will be able to tell it was once a rifle look alike??? Build it and enjoy!!

Sell it to someone that wants a pistol and find yourself a lefty rifle action??? Good luck with that. More like hunting for Hen's Teeth! Very few and far between!!
I was able to score a "lefty" Savage Model 12 repeater action. Single shot adaptor, mounted on a Whidden V Block and fitted to a right hand BR style thumbhole stock, recut for the left hand action. Right hand stays on the stock for control while free left hand works the bolt and feeds ammo. Best of both worlds.

Jamie
07-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Sell it to someone that wants a pistol and find yourself a lefty rifle action??? Good luck with that. More like hunting for Hen's Teeth! Very few and far between!!

Left hand action was in the classifieds for over a week before someone bought it yesterday. Not arguing about the pistol grip rifle part, I just know I don't trust everything I own to what people state on the internet. Like I said earlier, it could be correct and I could be wrong but until I know it is an absolute truth, I will continue to use pistol or undesignated actions and encourage others to do the same.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Go back and read the link on post #4. Straight from the BATF. That's what I go by for my rear grip SP builds. And I keep a printed copy in my range bag just in case the question ever comes up. What is it about a 16"+ barrel and an OAL that you don't understand? It's still a rifle, no matter what it looks like. And shorter in the OAL or barrel length and you'll be running into problems. Or, build on a Striker action or go undesignated. Just more $$.

And as far as a left hand action? That may have been the only one I've ever seen listed for sale. Be easier to buy a complete rifle and brake it up than wait on a left hand action. Like I said, few and far between.

Jamie
07-08-2015, 05:41 PM
What is it about a 16"+ barrel and an OAL that you don't understand? And as far as a left hand action? That may have been the only one I've ever seen listed for sale. Be easier to buy a complete rifle and brake it up than wait on a left hand action. Like I said, few and far between.

I understand that fully. I also understand ".. and intended to be fired from the shoulder...."

I just assume stay out of and always tell others to stay out of as well.

Like I said earlier, you may be correct and I could be wrong but I do know "The guy on the internet said it was ok" is never a good defense. I will keep doing it the way I do and you can do it as you wish, but the extra $100 for a Striker is worth the piece of mind to me.

DaveC
08-30-2015, 09:47 AM
Yes you can convert a Striker to a rifle using any pre-Accutrigger trigger and any 16"+ barrel; not a legal issue :deadhorse: . But why? Buy a 110 dual ported action from Savage custom shop or buy a 110 and sell the Stryker to someone that will use it. Strykers are hard to find and generally bring more money than 110's. Visit http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums or http://www.ihmsa.org/forum/