PDA

View Full Version : Help, barrel wont stay centered in stock.

doodedge
07-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Hey guys. My barrel seems to keep shifting to the right of the stock. I've tried taking off the action bolts, lock tite, then move the barrel as far left as I can, and torque down(35 in lbs, and tried a little more as well). Bolts are staying tight, but the barrel works its way back to the right. Not quite touching the stock at rest but any amount of pressure flexes the stock onto the barrel.

Any ideas? If nothing else I'll probably just sand the right side of the stock back a little, but was hoping for a better idea first. Thanks guys!

Rosco
07-04-2015, 05:50 PM
Is this a Boyd's stock? If so, look at the inletting and make sure their are no cracks or other damage, especially around where the actions screws are located. This would allow the action to shift ever so slightly.

doodedge
07-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Is this a Boyd's stock? If so, look at the inletting and make sure their are no cracks or other damage, especially around where the actions screws are located. This would allow the action to shift ever so slightly.

Nah, factory plastic stock.

DrThunder88
07-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Is this a new problem or has it been like this since you got the rifle?

If it's a recently emerged problem, has anything changed with the inletting? I'd look for obstructions inside the stock that may be pushing the receiver into misalignment. I'd also check the recoil lug to see if it's come loose and reset itself off-kilter.

If it's a persistent problem, check to make sure the barrel channel is straight or at least the same on both sides. It's possible that the stock came out of the mold incorrectly, which could be a factory fix. Same advice would apply if there's a manufacturing defect in the inletting like a bulge where there oughtn't be or a mishapen pillar.

doodedge
07-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Is this a new problem or has it been like this since you got the rifle?

If it's a recently emerged problem, has anything changed with the inletting? I'd look for obstructions inside the stock that may be pushing the receiver into misalignment. I'd also check the recoil lug to see if it's come loose and reset itself off-kilter.

If it's a persistent problem, check to make sure the barrel channel is straight or at least the same on both sides. It's possible that the stock came out of the mold incorrectly, which could be a factory fix. Same advice would apply if there's a manufacturing defect in the inletting like a bulge where there oughtn't be or a mishapen pillar.

It is new, and I've got about 100 rounds through it. Nothing is rubbing or touching the barrel, I actually rubbed the stock out a little with a barrel sized nut wrapped in sand paper as it got pretty tight about 4 inches from the barrel nut before. I can easily slide a card down the length of the barrel now.

I'll check the recoil lug though, thanks for the input!

If I end up not getting it fixed, I'll just get a boyds :-]

doodedge
07-05-2015, 01:13 AM
So, at first glance the lug appeared properly seated. It was definitely in there firm. I thought it looked like it might be a little uneven but it easily could've been my eyes. I couldn't get my calipers in at a good angle either. But when I was going to bolt the action back on I noticed it didn't seat well. I could roll it side it side a little before I tightened down the bolts. Is that normal?

I tapped my lug in a little. It was tough to tell if it seated it any further but it seemed to take the roll out of the action when set in the stock.

devildogandboy
07-05-2015, 02:33 PM
i just went through this this morning with my B&C DuraMax stock. just installed an action in it and saw the barrel was pulling right. i could easily slip a business card between stock and barrel all the way back to the receiver but this would bother me to no end if i didn't fix it.

toward the front of the receiver it was hitting hard against the stock on the left side and also on the right rear tang area. for the front area i used sandpaper and a small file, for the rear area i used my pocket knife and kind of whittled a little bit off the stock. did this several times fitting the stock and barreled action together until i was happy with the results. it's still not perfect but at 11 am and the temp is 105 with high humidity i will finish it up later.

you need to look at it and you will see where material may need to be removed. just go slowly and keep checking the fit.

Bruce