PDA

View Full Version : Sticky/Stuck brass In Chamber

Viperzilla
07-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi I'm Mike From VA.

I shoot an FCP-K chambered In .308 and have an issue with my brass hanging up In my chamber. I do reload so I've tried different amounts of powder, different case lengths and different types of brass. I use FC brass mostly and recently noticed that the RP seems to work better with fewer issues. I'm hoping this Is a quick easy fix as I am quickly becoming upset with my current rifle. I have to use my fist after most firings to drive to bolt back and eject the spent case. I hope someone has run into the same problem and can tell me how to cure this problem. Thanks Mike

darkker
07-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Could be a few things.
The first usual suspect is WAY to high pressure.
Next you have a very dirty chamber.
Third would be brass that is far too long and jammed into the chamber.
Last is the line used from sizing. If you don't get things cleaned off it tends to accumulate in the chamber.

earl39
07-04-2015, 04:32 PM
sounds like primary extraction problem. Place a business card or feeler gauge between the rear baffle and the action and then open the bolt and see if that makes extraction easier.

FW Conch
07-05-2015, 03:26 PM
I think it's pressure. And it never hurts to give the chamber a good cleaning.

FC brass is generally thicker than RP brass. If you put the same powder load in both, the pressure in the FC brass is going to be higher because of less case volume. Another good reason they tell us to start low and work up when ever we switch components.

As suggested, I would give that chamber a good cleaning, and load FC & RP brass with starting loads and work up. I think you will see pressure on the FC brass first.

It could be a Primary Extraction issue, but when similar has happened to me way in the past, it was either a less than clean chamber, or pressure.

Good Luck ... Good Shooting :-)

JWPNW
07-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Do the rounds chamber easily?
Is the issue only with FC brass?

Viperzilla
07-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Some rounds do and some don't. I've tried to take notice when certain rounds go in harder then others and weather or not they end up sticking In the chamber. The FC brass when trimmed down to 2.005-2.015 behaves better. I've tried PMC, PPU, LC, Winchester, FC and Remington. Out of all those the Remington sticks less then the others but not enough for me to be happy. I just don't think I should be having these issues and am really getting upset with the rifle. It might be a combination of all your suggestions so I'll start with a thorough cleaning first, trim my brass shorter, use lighter loads and If that doesn't work look at replacing the baffle and calling Savage to see If they have any ideas.

hcpyro13
07-05-2015, 08:28 PM
What does your reloading setup look like, are you full length resizing between loadings or are you neck sizing? If you are having difficulty chambering loaded rounds, you are likely not resizing far enough down the case or you are jamming the bullet into the rifling. If you are jamming the bullet you will gain pressure pretty quick if the load was worked up to be out of the lands and your current loads are jammed. What projectile are you using? Just a couple thoughts, good luck with your search for solutions.

jb6.5
07-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Like the others have posted, gonna be the primary extractor cam or chamber problems. I've seen a little rust in the chamber cause a lot misery.

Hotolds442
07-06-2015, 11:37 AM
How does freshly sized unloaded brass chamber and extract?

Viperzilla
07-06-2015, 08:46 PM
I have been full length resizing using Lee Dies and specs. My current set up Is IMR8208 45.3 grams with a Sierra 155 Gr tipped Matchking bullet. It chrono's around 2945-2955 and I'm 30 off the lands. The one guy who mentors most of the people In the group has said that even when the brass stretches It's usually not a problem even as long as 2.040 but In my case that does not seem to hold true. the shorter I get on my cases and the closer I get to SAMI specs the fewer issues I have. I still have the sticky brass and I seem to be the only one with this issue which makes me think there Is something else going on. I will try a freshly sized and unloaded piece of brass to see how It chambers. So far you guys have given me a lot of things to look for and I thank you for your thoughts and suggestions

jonbearman
07-06-2015, 11:38 PM
What does the primer look like after firing, is it flat or is there still a radius around the outside of the primer. If it is flat with no radius showing you are running way to much pressure. I would have someone with a borescope look at the chamber very carefully. It may need a polish job. Have a reputable smith do it. I have thought about this some and wonder if you could benefit from a small base die which lee doesn't make. You would have to get an rcbs or redding etc. Your load is 1.2 grains hotter than the hornady book says so if I was you I would back off a couple GRAINS NOT GRAMS and start over . I would bet that if you measured at the .200 line above the base it would be expanded more than a half thou which says over pressure big time.

eddiesindian
07-07-2015, 12:27 AM
That load is a little on the hot side. That barrel is a 1-10 twist which does better with heavier pills. Curious. ..why are you using 155,s?
Imo.....you may wanna lighten the powder charge. You,ll find another accuracy node at lower speeds.

Viperzilla
07-22-2015, 07:36 PM
QUOTE]sounds like primary extraction problem. Place a business card or feeler gauge between the rear baffle and the action and then open the bolt and see if that makes extraction easier.[/QUOTE] Thanks earl39 for that little bit of insight. I pulled my bolt apart and this is what I found. http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/mikeoliver69/IMG_0377.jpg (http://s235.photobucket.com/user/mikeoliver69/media/IMG_0377.jpg.html)
I purchased a rear baffle, front baffle, PTG bolt head and a 110BA tactical bolt handle for good measure. I put It all back together and fired a few rounds and the action worked flawlessly and was very smooth. I really appreciated all the helpful suggestions and special thanks to earl39 and FW conch.