PDA

View Full Version : Savage stock problem

sc1911cwp
07-03-2015, 10:13 AM
I have and Savage Palma 12. I took it apart to completely clean it and upon assembly I found where the rear trigger guard screw attaches into the stock is stripped. How can I properly repair this? It is the stock, not the screw that is the problem. TNX

pitsnipe
07-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Fill the hole with epoxy. Drill pilot hole to specs for the size screw. Re assemble.

Snipe

devildogandboy
07-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Fill the hole with epoxy. Drill pilot hole to specs for the size screw. Re assemble.

Snipe

+1 on this, this is the easiest way. i drilled the hole out a bit larger and epoxy wood dowel in and redrill for the screw.

Bruce

Dennis
07-03-2015, 01:39 PM

Snipe

PERFECT, go for it, I have personally done it before.

sc1911cwp
07-03-2015, 02:38 PM
TNX guys.

Ironfinger
07-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Ooorrrr, you can simply put a LARGE splinter of your favorite hardwood into the hole before putting the screw in and 'Viola, tight as can be!

Texas10
07-07-2015, 08:16 AM
If the screw strips out again after repairs, here is my suggestion for a more permanent repair. Start by drilling out the hole with a slightly larger bit. Mix a good, long curing epoxy (30 minutes or longer) and add wood flour, saw dust or if you have them, milled cotton fibers until well thickened. Or buy a filled epoxy such as JB weld, Devcon 10110 etc, but use a liquid epoxy, not a paste type. The epoxy must be thin enough to get into the fibers of the stock wood. I like to mix at least 10 grams to avoid possible mixing ratio errors and I use a scale to proportion accurately. Coat the screw with a release agent, KIWI natural shoe polish will work well. Work the epoxy into the hole with a toothpick, and coat the screw. Now install the screw. When cured, if the screw does not release easily, touch a hot soldering iron to the screw head for 15 to 30 seconds and try the screw again. Sand off any squeeze from the stock once it's cured. I use this method because trying to simply fill a small, blind hole with epoxy is very hard as air gets trapped and prevents epoxy from getting all the way down the hole.

sc1911cwp
07-08-2015, 06:31 PM
I was at Ace Hardware the other day and saw a brass insert with a threaded hole in the middle. I was wondering about changing it to a threaded bolt.

thomae
07-10-2015, 09:43 AM
You can do that if you want, but that rearmost screw is not really a load bearing screw, and does not need to be tightened so much that stripping out of a properly sized wood hole should be a problem.

sc1911cwp
07-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Thank you. I know it is not a load bearing screw and only holds the rear of the guard done. I was just looking around on another project and ran across it. I just want to do a proper job and be done with it.

243LPR
07-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Drywall screw

sc1911cwp
07-12-2015, 10:45 AM
A drywall screw is too aggressive on the Savage Palma as well as too long. It would hit the trigger assembly. I bought some things and it should be fixed by Tuesday .

BillPa
07-12-2015, 11:29 AM
I found the only 'good' use for golf tees, to repair striped holes in wood stocks especially for course thread sling swivel studs. Open the hole a little larger, cut or sand them down for a snug fit then secure with a waterproof glue or JB-JB Quick the drill them to size.

Bill

sc1911cwp
07-18-2015, 10:01 AM
I found a nylon stand off at Ace hardware and installed that after drilling out the hole with JB Weld. Then I used a stainless self threading screw. Looks good and it is now good to go.