PDA

View Full Version : 110 long action 243 to 6mm-06ai

need4speed
07-02-2015, 01:44 PM
I have for quite some time wanted to build a 6mm-06ai. There is a 110 243 at one of my local gun shops. It has the 5.062 screw placing. I've read that the magazine port would have to be lengthened for an 06 length cartridge. What i'm wondering is how costly that would be and who could i get to do it. I also would like to know if the chamber can be lengthened to 6mm-06ai by hand or would it have to be done on a lathe? As I would like to do as much of the work myself as possible (for the experience) Thanks in advance for any input.

scooterf79
07-03-2015, 12:01 AM
As far as I know you would need the action milled out to hold the longer mag box and follower. If you were to only use as a single shot you wouldnt need to have anything done to it.

As far as reaming out the chamber manually..... Ive seen the tools, but have never used them. A lathe would definitely hold much tighter tolerances than doing it by hand. I would much rather have a good smith do it on a lathe.

Actually, I would have a smith do a new barrel if it were me, I think youll be better off in the long run. You could part out the rifle and keep the action and help pay for the new barrel.
I think the choice of cartridge is a screamer....AI version should top the 240wby.
Good luck and keep us posted if you decide to go that route.
Scooter

need4speed
07-03-2015, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the input scooter. I'm trying to decide if i'm going to buy the 243 and use the factory barrel or just pick up a 270 or 30-06 and change the barrel. There is a smith here locally that will change the barrel for a reasonable price but i'll miss out on the learning experience.

scooterf79
07-03-2015, 04:28 AM
If it were me Id buy the 270 or 06 and change the barrel. If you get the tools....the barrel swap is easy. The advantage of the long action(the long action built for 06, 270 etc....actual LA cartridges) is you can build either a short or long action cartridge on it.
As far as barrels go, if youre on a budget, Jim at Apache Gun Works (a sponsor here ) does barrels at very reasonable prices. He will do high end barrels as well. He has some kinda magic power he uses that makes em all shoot lights out...lol.

Seems you might be a DIYer so....get the tools ($100 or so)and do it all yourself(the barrel swap)....lol...just be forewarned, once you start....you wont be able to stop....
Scooter

devildogandboy
07-03-2015, 09:46 AM
yep, you be better off and ahead financially if you go with the 270-06. won't have to spend the money for gunsmithing fees.

Bruce

need4speed
07-03-2015, 09:51 PM
A local pawn shop had an older 110 in 270 win I'll try to pick it up then save my pennies and give Jim at Apache a call

scooterf79
07-04-2015, 09:23 AM
I like your plan. Jims good to return emails pretty quick so that will probably be the best way to get in touch with him. Id also recommend getting in touch with Jim at NSS (also another sponsor here) and get a new recoil lug and nut....especially since it will already be apart. Hes also great to deal with.
Scooter

need4speed
07-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Thanks Scooter will do