PDA

View Full Version : Hogue OverMolded...What floor plate do I need? And where do I get mags?

Pages : 1 [2]

foxx
07-03-2015, 01:02 PM
(in post #20) I meant send a pic of the new stock's bottom and the space between the action screw holes in it.

whiskeyloaf
07-03-2015, 01:08 PM
(in post #20) I meant send a pic of the new stock's bottom and the space between the action screw holes in it.

Ohh no idea, I just ordered it and had it shipped to the guy, but this is the one I ordered...

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-LA-Drop-Box-Mag-Rubber-OverMolded-Stock-by-Hogue-HS11113.html

foxx
07-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Oops. That one is long action. You need short action. (assuming we are right, just looking at the pictures). And, unfortunately, Savage is closed till the 13th so we can't even look up the S/N online till they reopen.

I would ask your smith to test-fit the action to the stock. If it fits, ask him to also measure the action screw spacing. It really doesn't matter whether it is long or short, both will work, but you need to know before ordering the other parts. If he gets annoyed, just keep in mind it was he that said it was a long action...

BlueDog
07-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Whiskey in your previous thread about stocks, you added a link for the Hogue you ordered. The link is for a long action as well... I hope this doesn't turn into a mess. I also hope you like the Hogue as it's pretty similar to a factory stock, I don't think it has the tactical vertical grip you were looking for. But anyway, I'm sure you'll get it all figured out and I'm sure it will be a shooter. Good luck!

clintsrv
07-03-2015, 08:02 PM
The only thing I see in the picture that even closely identifies what you have is the safety lever. That is a newer safety lever and I hardly doubt that your rifle is a stagger feed based on that. It also does not appear to be a long action. Give us the first 4 digits of the rifle serial number and I think we can narrow it down even further.
If it is in fact a centerfeed, I think I'd be looking for another gunsmith who knows a little bit about Savage rifles.......yours apparently does not.

The saftey lever will not identify SF from CF. Almost every staggered feed action I have has an accutrigger and saftey as pictured. That style saftey is coupled with accutriggers.

The stock pictured is a good identifier in determining CF or SF. This stock is definetly of newer factory design with the wide fore-end.

Hotolds442
07-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Good point, I had never noticed the one stagger feed I have with an accutrigger does in fact have the new "wide" safety lever.

whiskeyloaf
07-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Oops. That one is long action. You need short action. (assuming we are right, just looking at the pictures). And, unfortunately, Savage is closed till the 13th so we can't even look up the S/N online till they reopen.

I would ask your smith to test-fit the action to the stock. If it fits, ask him to also measure the action screw spacing. It really doesn't matter whether it is long or short, both will work, but you need to know before ordering the other parts. If he gets annoyed, just keep in mind it was he that said it was a long action...

So it's okay that I ordered the Hogue long action stock? I just need to make sure that the floor plate and mags are for long action as well right?

clintsrv
07-05-2015, 10:52 AM
If the rifle pictured is a 308 caliber it is a short action.
A long action Hogue stock will not work with a short action rifle.

Why is the rifle with your gunsmith?

whiskeyloaf
07-05-2015, 10:56 AM
He works at the USMC Precision Weapons Section in Quantico where I went to sniper school, so I just gave him my gun to work on.