View Full Version : Recoil lugs and barrel nuts

Pages : 1 [2]

Tom Thomson
07-10-2015, 08:24 PM
oops i should have read page #2 sorry
tommyt

scpaul
07-11-2015, 01:00 PM
No problem Tommy, I'd hate to tell you how many times I've done the same thing or had it all run together and I jump a line or two. I hope that I didn't make Jim mad, it was

all ment as a joke. I don't know how to drive this thing and my memory is so short that I forget from day to day. Like I told my wife, atleast I've never seen the

same movie/program twice.

I know this thing can do some things that I'd like but I don't know how to turn them on/off.

Anyway Tommy, if there's anything that I can help you with my email is neese.paul@yahoo.com. I try to check it daily. I figure that someone here probably knows the answer to your question already. Later, Paul

northlander
07-14-2015, 11:52 PM
Jim Baker's comments about the Precision barrel nut not being worth consideration does not hold water. When you take apart almost every Savage factory rifle you will see where the factory barrel nut is only making solid contact in three or four places, don't take my word for this, look at the factory barrel nuts you have laying around.

The externally threaded barrels match up to the internally threaded barrel nuts. If the barrel nut is warped at all it will cause an alignment issue for the barrel nut and the front surface of the recoil lug. As long as the barrel nut is not able to draw down square the resulting misalignment of the barrel nut will cause the barrel to set off from square with the action threads. Show of hands, how many of you have seen factory rifles with the barrel not centered in the barrel channel?

I have had at least 10 or more Savage shooters that have contacted me because their rifles shot so far to one side that they did not have enough scope adjustment to get them zeroed. At least two of the factory sponsored Savage Shooters have purchased recoil lugs and barrel nuts for their rifles to correct just this problem. I have not had a single shooter come back to me and say that their rifle was not made better, I did say better not perfect.

There are always going to be skeptics as to how much better you can make the receiver and barrel alignment. I have never had a single shooter advise me that these upgrades have not made an improvement in their rifles receiver/barrel alignment.

Jim Briggs
NSS

devildogandboy
07-15-2015, 10:22 AM
i have noticed the uneven contact points on the factory barrel nuts and lugs, that's why i always replace them on a new build without exception! in my mind this has got to be an improvement of some degree when you have better contact between surfaces.

Bruce

J.Baker
07-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Tommy, I may have been wrong about the strength of the firing pin spring. I had been working with 3 at one time. I got mine from Wolff sprin gs. They can probably tell you

what the original was and if they have any heavier. It seems that I went up 2 or 3 lbs. but can't be sure. It didn't make any difference on the bolt lift that I can tell. Maybe a

scale can tell you, but I can't

I bought a used Savage 116 for this project and yes it misfired about 10% of the time. I streached the firing pin spring about 1/2 or 3/4" and the misfiring stopped. I have no

idea how long that it might have been put up with the f. pin spring compressed. I always put my f.pins down. Snap caps are nice. In a bind you can make one by de-priming

a case and fitting a piece of dense rubber into the primer hole. I also glued mine in with H.D. (Marine ?)"Shoe Goo" (Walmart).

Jim, I double spaced just for you. Sorry that I

don't know where one paragraph ends and

another one starts. I hope that this helps

some anyway.

I haven't spoken to you in a while, you doing

OK? I guessed at where this paragraph

started, hope that I was right. Catch you

later Jim and I hope that I helped you some

Tommy. Y'all have a good one, Paul

Ahh yes, that's much better Paul;. LOL