PDA

View Full Version : How to space DBM from action.

lrshooting
06-30-2015, 07:23 PM
I finally got my Pacific Tool and Gauge DBM with a 10 rnd magazine. Only they sent me a AW magainze instead of a AICS magazine which fits the dbm, but not the action since AW is stagger feed but that can be taken care of.

What I really want yo know tho, is how do you find out how much space you need between the DBM and action? To close or to far and not everything is gonna fit very well.

Do you just tinker with the pillar height until the magazine and trigger assembly fits good together? I'm somewhat lost at this.

darkker
06-30-2015, 07:30 PM
Well, If I'm following this properly, look and measure your current factory magazine to compare with the AW.
What will be the important part is protrusion into the action from below. You don't want the feed lips too high in the action or the bolt will hit the back of the magazine.

lrshooting
07-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Well, If I'm following this properly, look and measure your current factory magazine to compare with the AW.
What will be the important part is protrusion into the action from below. You don't want the feed lips too high in the action or the bolt will hit the back of the magazine.

So basically the DBM is spaced so that the magazine will feed correctly and I assume kept parallel to the action (the dbm that is)

sharpshooter
07-01-2015, 12:53 AM
Why not ask PT&G, they are the ones that engineered it.

lrshooting
07-01-2015, 05:43 AM
Why not ask PT&G, they are the ones that engineered it.
Well, I should I suppose. Usually the lady(s) that answer arent the most patient people in the world. The guy that deals with the bottom metals is suppose to call today to get my magazines swapped so I guess I need to ask him then. Maybe he will just sent me precut pillars and i can use that as a baseline.

BlueDog
07-01-2015, 09:13 AM
My CDI bottom metal for my HogHunter came with detailed schematics detailing the needed distance. I made the pillars to that spec, installed, bedded the rifle. Feeds flawlessly. I'm surprised PT&G didn't have something similar. After all, reliable feeding is what we all strive for.

Roach_68
07-01-2015, 12:49 PM
My CDI bottom metal for my HogHunter came with detailed schematics detailing the needed distance. I made the pillars to that spec, installed, bedded the rifle. Feeds flawlessly. I'm surprised PT&G didn't have something similar. After all, reliable feeding is what we all strive for.

They send you nothing but an invoice with it, I thought they would send something with it or have a PDF available on their web page.

To the OP, was your stock originally a blind mag setup?

lrshooting
07-01-2015, 02:15 PM
No, it was a box magazine but it clipped into the stock rather a bottom metal. The only thing original getting left on that gun is the action, bolt, and trigger group.

Robinhood
07-01-2015, 02:49 PM
PT&G is in it for the money not for happy customers.

missed
07-01-2015, 06:19 PM
PT&G is in it for the money not for happy customers.
Yeah pretty much I'm done with ptg.

lrshooting
07-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Well, to fair they do make a good product. I just think they need some help in the customer department

missed
07-02-2015, 07:00 PM
I set my bottom metals where the back of the magazine lips are about 1/8" under the bolt, where the bolt head just clears it. You want to make sure you can push the mag as far in as you can. My CDI metals and alpha mags have maybe 1/8" of up and down wiggle when there locked in.

lrshooting
07-03-2015, 11:11 AM
I noticed the ptg has the same deal...the AW mag has some play from the point it clipped into the dbm until it stops going in any further. I have no idea where yo start on how far to set the mag in but yours seems like a good number. Maybe I can get ptg to give me some specs and just not worry about it.

Of course the AW mags won't fit into the new center feeds any ways so I await the aics mag they are suppose to be sending me so I can get to work on this