PDA

View Full Version : Axis .308 and muzzle brake

phantom8747
06-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Considering adding a muzzle brake to my .308.Whats available? Can a gunsmith like Williams Gunsight thread the barrell? What is available in threaded muzzle brakes.Any available like the the M4 Carbine in .308? Thanks. I know about Witt and Kantrol clampon brakes.

Rosco
06-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Ross Schuler Brakes best value in my opinion and just a nice guy, offers great support and fast turn around.
And all for an awesome price.

geargrinder
06-30-2015, 10:48 PM
Ross Schuler Brakes best value in my opinion and just a nice guy, offers great support and fast turn around.
And all for an awesome price.

Yep +1

Ross is good, fast, and cheap.

jpdown
07-01-2015, 12:06 AM
I'm working on a .308 build using a Savage Hog Hunter action and threaded barrel as the donor. Ross Schuler Muzzle Brakes and his friend Walt at www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com appear to work together and offer similar brakes. The only difference I could see is Ross offers 3 port brakes and does custom contouring and Walt offers 4 and 5 port brakes. Both are offered at an attractive price when compared to other brakes I considered. I also purchased a set of the Accu-Washer system mace by Precision Armament so that I could install and time the brake myself. I'm now waiting on a Boyd's stock to arrive so I can finish the build and try it out.

DrThunder88
07-01-2015, 05:48 AM
There's some contention that there's not enough thickness at the muzzle to thread it (at least at the fairly standard 5/8-24).

There are birdcage flash hiders for 30 caliber projectiles like those on the M4, plus a whole slew of aftermarket brakes and flash hiders depending on the thread size you go with.

phantom8747
07-01-2015, 05:14 PM
There's some contention that there's not enough thickness at the muzzle to thread it (at least at the fairly standard 5/8-24).

There are birdcage flash hiders for 30 caliber projectiles like those on the M4, plus a whole slew of aftermarket brakes and flash hiders depending on the thread size you go with.
Well maybe a clampon but the ones I have seen are fairly large.Wonder if someone makes a birdcage stlye clamp on?

phantom8747
07-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Can the barrell be threaded to 5/8-24.Is there enough there?Thanks.

Rosco
07-03-2015, 09:24 PM
I am about 99% sure it cannot, their was a thread from about 3 months where someone went over the same issue with a .270. I remember speaking with Ross about this and he told me that you needed "x" of muzzle diameter, but can't recall the number. After measuring it wasn't until somewhere around the 17-18'' section of the barrel where you have enough to make that happen.