PDA

View Full Version : Savage barrel muzzle diameter

revbc
05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Does anyone have the muzzle sizes on factory barrels, sporter, varmint contour, tactical? I'm looking at an older savage the owner says is a tactical, but the taper on the barrel looks like a sporter to me.

Any help is appreciated.

Bobby

Uncle Jack
05-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Well, what is the diameter of the barrel muzzle you are looking at?

uj

rjtfroggy
05-26-2010, 07:26 AM
REVBC, I'll go into the safe later and measure them for you later today. If you need the sooner McGowan has them on their site under the barrel contours.

revbc
05-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Uncle Jack
Don't know the actual dia. Just looking at a pic. I will see it when we meet up. It just doesn't look like a tactical rifle, the bolt handle is small like a regular sporting rifle. But it's a savage non-acutrigger so I know it's older.

pdog06
05-26-2010, 04:34 PM
the varmint and tactical barrels are around .800" at the muzzle. If I remember correctly the sporters are around .550" or so, but I dont have one to measure.

The only older "tactical" model I can think of is the 10fp that said "Savage Tactical" on the bolt, so it should be a matte blued finish,black synthetic stock, and the barrel should be either 20" or 24" long and be the .800 muzzle diameter.

Can you post the pic you are looking at. Sure we could tell you for sure then. The only thing is these guns are VERY easy to swap things out, so the barrel could be off something else also.

If you wanna see some of what a Tactical looks like, go to the Picture Post section of this site and look at the 10fp Pics thread. Lots of older and newer ones pictured there for you to compare to.