PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12F target action ejects loaded round but not fired case

Andr01d
06-27-2015, 08:59 PM
So typically, I do NOT want my brass ejected and bounced on the floor/ground, but... During competition I would like to eject the spent case out of the chamber so that I don't waste time doing that manually. Any one know how the target action is supposed to function from the factory and are there ways to tweak it to do what you want? I realize the solution will most likely be one or the other, but I don't mind making a tweak before a match.

From the factory, my action has never ejected the spent brass, but it will sling a loaded round out when you cycle the action.

Anyone have any useful info on this?

aqua9945
06-28-2015, 02:03 AM
Of the factory chamberings only a really long COAL 6.5-284 would fail to eject. Mine, with VLDs are ejecting fine. Of course any spent round will extract and eject, unless you remove the ejector. I just catch mine (99%) with the fingers of my right hand as i pull back the bolt, finishing the backward throw with my thumb... I suppose if you do not want to do this you could have two bolts , one with an extractor and ejector, one with just the extractor and use either, assuming the headspace is identical, which it probably is ....

BR Dominator
06-28-2015, 12:31 PM
I have had a 12 F target short action (6BR) for about 6 years. As soon as I got it I removed the ejector pin. Reason, don't want my expensive brass flying around and I don't feel it is particularly good for the meticulously prepped brass. I don't find it to be a problem during a match to remove spent cartridge by hand in fact I find it easier. I remove the casing as I continue to watch for changing conditions and can reload without moving my head from my spotting scope. I find it much easier than searching for flying brass or trying to catch it midair. In fact all my Savage that I use for target practice have the pins removed.
Just my method. BTW....don't know why your action won't eject a spent casing ?????

Robinhood
06-28-2015, 03:37 PM
You didn't mention the cartridge but it may be falling off the extractor on its way back. Shorter cartridges do this sometimes. I would check to see if the case head fits in the bolthead securely behind the extractor.

Andr01d
06-28-2015, 09:00 PM
You didn't mention the cartridge but it may be falling off the extractor on its way back. Shorter cartridges do this sometimes. I would check to see if the case head fits in the bolthead securely behind the extractor.

Robinhood, it is 6BR, very short cartridge and is falling off the extractor before the neck get to the ejection port just as you said! A loaded round ejects fine since it is longer with the bullet seated and therefore does not get as much angle to fall off the extractor before it reaches the ejection port. I compete benchrest so usually employ the "runner" method to get ten through the tube before conditions change so any time saving on each shot could mean a couple more shots down range before a wind change.

There is some gap on the bolt head, the case web does not fit snug. Inside diameter of the bolt face measures .484, new lapua case web measures .470, hot loaded and fired cases that exhibit some web growth measure .473. I purchased but have not installed a PTG bolt head, and it measures .487. So not sure that I will gain anything on ejection with the ptg( but that is not why I bought it, bought it after reading that the stock bolt heads are known for dishing) anyway my only point to make with this is that cases don't fit snug on both bolt faces.

i broke down the bolt head, cleaned and looked over all the parts nothing was worn or bent, looked good. Put it back,together and no difference.

i may order an extractor and see if it makes a difference, thanks for your reply!