PDA

View Full Version : DNZ Mount Height - Savage 10 Predator Hunter .243 Win Barrel taper

CleanShot
06-25-2015, 09:48 PM
Hello

I have a Savage 10 Predator Hunter in a .243 Win. I bought a Sightron SII 6-24x50 for it. Sightron has all the specs for their scope so I know the outer diameter is 2.28". However I'm trying to figure out what the scope mount to barrel taper height might be. I'm trying to get a DNZ GameReaper on it. The optics place told me to get a high mount but I feel like a medium mount would have done the trick.

I have been trying to use this site: http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator with:
Objective Bell Diameter: 58mm (approximately 2.28")
Butler Creek Cap: 2mm
Scope Ring Height: Height of mounts from top of receiver to centerline of scope tube for DNZ mounts are - low .92″, medium 1.05″, and high 1.17″
Scope Mount: There is no rail needed for DNZ mounts so I think this is zero for the scope mount.
Barrel Taper Height: I have no idea what it is for the Barrel Taper. This is why I'm here :).

Any insight on how I can perform this calculation?

Thanks
Sam

Hotolds442
06-25-2015, 10:41 PM
Use zero for the barrel taper and see what you come up with. By going that route, if you decide to use a bull barrel in the future, you won't need to upgrade the mounts. There isn't a lot of taper on the PH from the barrel nut to the objective location.
Or you can go this route- The action diameter is 1.350", and the barrel at the barrel nut is 1.065" - use 7mm (1.350-1.065=.285)for taper and see what that works out as far as ring height.....I think you'll be fine with medium rings.
All of mine are running 50mm objectives with EGW rails in either 0 moa or 20 moa and all of them have Burris XTR medium rings with no clearance issues even with bull barrels.

CleanShot
06-25-2015, 10:47 PM
At zero I'm too low by 1.23 mm. I wouldn't have enough clearance even with the high rings.

savgebolt
06-26-2015, 09:17 PM
hi clean,,,, here is some info that may help you,,,i have a Model 12 fcv, new a year ago , in 22-250 , it a round reciever front and rear , i have DNZ mount on it, my scope is a Leupold 6.5 x 20 with objective outside diameter of 2.30 inches, the model 12 has a straight barrel that about .800" in diameter ,,,,, and i have the butler creek caps on the scope,,,,, all that said here is the way to calculate what mount you need,,,divide the diameter of your scope objective of by 2,,,,2.28 divided by 2 = 1.14" , next subtract the heighth of the scope mount you are consindering ,, such as 1.14" - .92" = .22" now if the first number is larger than the second number in the formula the objective will sit that amount lower then the top of the reciever by that amount , next take a straight edge and place it on top of the reciever and measure the distance from the top of the reciever to the barrel in the area where the scope objective will sit , if that measurement is over
.22" the mount and scope should fit,, i hope that helps,,,,dont forget to account for scope cap thickness

Hotolds442
06-26-2015, 09:39 PM
There is a pic here of a 44mm using low rings, and info on a 50mm using mediums: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18064-dnz-mount-height
And pics here: http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/thread/16522/savage-dnz-which-mount of a 50mm scope using medium DNZ's