PDA

View Full Version : New to Me 17 HMR

cruzerbotz
06-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Ran across a Rimfire Striker in 17 HMR on Saturday. At a gun "swap meet". Saw it and walked by. The guy also had an M-6 in 22 Hornet over 410 that I was interested in. He wanted $400 for it and I wasn't sure I was ready to spend that, even though they are going for about double that. Looked at some other stuff and came back. Then really noticed the Striker. Picked it up and played with it. Interesting gun. How much???? $180 Wow! I didn't know how much they were going for, but I could fork over $180 without feeling bad. Especially since it had a Norinco 2x20 scope, a no-name bipod and two extra magazines. Took it out Sunday and shot it. Did pretty well. Problem is the 2x scope isn't really enough for my old eyes at 50 or 100 yds. I did OK, but needed an 8" diameter bull to aim at.

Looking at different scopes, was looking for one I could use on some other guns I've got. Needed long eye relief. Have narrowed it down to three...... Burris Handgun, Burris Scout and a Nikon Force XR. Will have to save a few $$$ and get the scope in the next month or so.

I did order a DIP scope base so whatever scope I get, can be used on the other three guns with the picatinny style scope bases. Might then "borrow" the scope I have on my 93r17 since it is mounted on a picatinny style base.

I had looked a the single shot big bore pistols several years ago, but they really weren't being manufactured anymore. I always liked the XP100, and the other rifle caliber pistols. The more I look at the photos on this and other websites, the more I am ready to get a Savage action and build one.

Will post some results once I'm able to get a higher power scope on it.

Hotolds442
06-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Be careful which action you choose when building a pistol. Choosing the wrong one or building to the wrong specifications can land you in jail for a long time. Be diligent in your research and ask lots of questions before committing to anything. As the saying goes, knowledge is power, but lack thereof is not an affirmative defense in court.

Appleseed
06-26-2015, 10:38 AM
If you don't like the 17hmr, please let me know. We never had a short fall on that ammo during the "shortage."

On the centerfire pistol, several members build on non-designated actions and striker actions, I think yorktransport keeps his overall length over the minimum 16" barrel length. I prefer left hand bolts and screwed on a new barrel to my striker action. If you haven't all ready, look at Specialty Pistols forum.

cruzerbotz
06-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Appleseed, you aren't that far from me. I'm in Fort Mill. Got the DIP scope base yesterday. Only problem with it is the back screw holes are in the wrong place for the Striker. About an inch too far back. Thought about drilling new holes in the base, or additional holes in the receiver, but decided not. Also thought about taking it to a gunsmith, but was anxious to shoot and see what it would do with a better scope. Soooooooo.......... put the DIP base on my Savage 93 in 17 hmr. That one is about fifteen years old. Pre Accutrigger. It is a tackdriver and keeper. Had a Nikon 4x I wasn't using, so put that on the Striker. Trip to the range this morning. Was getting some nice three shot 1" groups with various ammo. On a couple of them, got two shots touching and the third opened up. Will have to do something with the trigger. Maybe the Basix since I'm going to stick with the Nikon 4x for now. This one isn't going anywhere but out hunting. A better trigger will definitely close the groups. Now, I want one in 22 mag. Might end up with a Chipmunk though.