PDA

View Full Version : Stock or scope or me?

potatohead
05-25-2010, 08:03 PM
So I've got a problem. I have a Model 12 thumbhole varminter in .204. I have a 6.5x20 Nikon on it that is pretty old. I'm having problems with this combo and wonder if it was my choice in the thumbhole stock. It seems that I have to place my eye at the furthest most forward point in my eye relief window in order for me to keep my groups from opening up. I'm guessing this is due to paralax from what I've read but I don't know. Also with this I understand that you want as low of scope mounts as you can get for the most part. The way this combo is with the eye relief problem and my low scope mounts it is NOT comfortable for one and another I have a hard time placing my eye back to where it needs to be! I will say that it isn't all the way forward in that eye relief window......I have to go forward then back away just as bit. It sucks! Please help with ideas. Do I need a new scope? Do I need a new stock? I ALREADY know that I need more driving time with this rig theres only so many days in the week. I shoot it often. Probably 100 rounds a week average. Some weeks better than others:)

dcloco
05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
The height of scope rings is determined by two things....the distance from the bottom of your cheekbone and the center of your eye. ...and the type of stock on it.

Low is not always best. Put the rings on the rifle that allows you to shoot comfortably.

Turn the power down on the scope...you don't need 20x to shoot bugholes. 16 or less on black and white targets will work just fine.

Today, shot several 3-3.5" groups at 600 yards on steel...in a full value plus right to left/headwind. Easy 30 MPH....all done on 10x or 16x.