PDA

View Full Version : Model 11 Scout... Anybody have one?

bigcheese920
06-25-2015, 12:54 PM
I've been itching for having another gun in the safe and I really want a scout rifle. At my work we have a board that you can post stuff that you have for sale and i saw that someone was selling a Ruger gunsite scout for $600. So i started reading about it and saw that they're a typical Ruger. Overbuilt, extremely reliable, but not very accurate. So I started looking at the 11 scout but I can't find anything that talks about how accurate it is. So does anybody have one? What are your thoughts on the rifle? Also is the cheek riser helpful or does it just get in the way. I tried to get my hands on it at my local Cabela's but they didn't have any in stock and he said that they can't keep them on the shelves so i guess that says something.

J.Baker
06-25-2015, 07:45 PM
I just requested one for review earlier today so with any luck... Not a fan of the whole Scout setup, mainly due to the extremely limited selection of optics for such an arrangement, so I'll be testing it with the open sights and possibly a conventionally mounted optic (depending on how horrendous my open sight groups look).

JMG1894
06-25-2015, 08:46 PM
It's on my "want" list.
There's a couple floating around on the Equipment Exchange" forums up here in Canada. The prices vary from $500-750.
I agree, the optics are few.

Hotolds442
06-25-2015, 08:50 PM
EER scopes have their place, but on a rifle that you might want to hunt with, they're totally worthless in low light conditions. I used one on a Model 94 in 44mag for years, and after passing on a couple of nice blacktails because I couldn't pick up the crosshairs in the timber, I moved on to better things. Novelties are nice to play with but they're not always the best way to put meat on the table.

JMG1894
06-25-2015, 10:33 PM
I'd probably go with the factory installed aperture sights or this;

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/parentjason/51263BF6-C430-414A-8496-5DFA8436DEA9_zpsz2bdxajn.jpg (http://s864.photobucket.com/user/parentjason/media/51263BF6-C430-414A-8496-5DFA8436DEA9_zpsz2bdxajn.jpg.html)

bigcheese920
06-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Honestly I'm not a fan of the scout setup either but I can't say anything about it because I've never actually shot a scout rifle setup so I don't know. I agree the optics selection is very limited. My other thought was going on the cheap and buying a mosin cutting a foot off the barrel and mount a scope to it.

bigcheese920
06-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Don't worry I have a piece of paper that says I'm a CNC machinist

Hotolds442
06-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Don't worry I have a piece of paper that says I'm a CNC machinist
CNC? Completely Non Conformist?

kkeene
06-26-2015, 08:42 PM
I have one of the original Savage Scouts in 7mm-08. Good gun in a crappy plastic stock. I have the Burris LER scope in flip lever removable rings. The rifle is fun to shoot with the iron sights, I much prefer the rear peep sight on a Scout to a rear blade on my hog hunter.

bigcheese920
06-26-2015, 08:58 PM
Does anybody have a stock with the adjustable cheek rest? What are there thoughts on that?

JMG1894
06-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Well it looks like I got me a Scout!
$420 Cdn. It has the accu trigger and blind magazine. I thought they came with a detachable mag but this might be an early one I guess. I'll have more details when I pick it up Tuesday. Here's one of the pics I was sent;

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/Jamie_MG/Mobile%20Uploads/savage%208_zpsz4wbnpfy.jpg (http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/Jamie_MG/media/Mobile%20Uploads/savage%208_zpsz4wbnpfy.jpg.html)

bigcheese920
06-28-2015, 12:40 PM
That must be one of the old ones because it doesn't look like it has an adjustable cheek piece.

J.Baker
07-03-2015, 08:00 AM
Yeah, that's definitely not one of the new ones. New ones have an adjustable cheek piece, adjustable LOP (spacers), tan stock, and 10-round detachable magazine. Looks kinda like...well, exactly like this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/Gun%20Stuff/DSC00496.jpg

Two things that I immediately noticed.

1. Scout scope mount configuration makes it very easy to shoot with both eyes open - something I can't normally due with a traditionally mounted scope as my left eye's dominance over the right is minimal at best. Would definitely want/need an illuminated reticle though for shooting in low-light conditions.

2. With the scope removed I find that the lowest position of the cheek piece is still a little high for me to be able to get a proper sight picture with the peep sight.

aubie515
07-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Being an EER optic has nothing to do with low light conditions. You would have the same issue with a "standard" optic in low light conditions as well. Leupold offers a 1.5-5x firedot that would do very well on a scout rifle.

Scouts are not for everyone, but they are an overall useful rig. Money being the same on the Savage and Ruger GSR, I'll take the GSR anyday of the week due to having better mags available.

EER scopes have their place, but on a rifle that you might want to hunt with, they're totally worthless in low light conditions. I used one on a Model 94 in 44mag for years, and after passing on a couple of nice blacktails because I couldn't pick up the crosshairs in the timber, I moved on to better things. Novelties are nice to play with but they're not always the best way to put meat on the table.

Hotolds442
07-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Being an EER optic has nothing to do with low light conditions. You would have the same issue with a "standard" optic in low light conditions as well. Leupold offers a 1.5-5x firedot that would do very well on a scout rifle.

Scouts are not for everyone, but they are an overall useful rig. Money being the same on the Savage and Ruger GSR, I'll take the GSR anyday of the week due to having better mags available.

Actually, no. I did NOT have the same issue with a "standard" optic. Quite the opposite. Since the crosshairs were a mere 3" from the eye on a "standard" optic, they are easy to pick up at least 15-30 minutes after the EER crosshairs were no longer discernible at 16" from the eye. That's actual side by side testing, not what you "guesstimate"

bigcheese920
07-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Thank you for the mini review on the scout! I really hope my LGS gets them in stock soon so I can have a feel for myself. And as far as in my situation yes they're the same price but the mags are interchangeable between the scout and my 10T.

JMG1894
07-04-2015, 09:08 PM
That must be one of the old ones because it doesn't look like it has an adjustable cheek piece.

Actually it's not even the correct stock. It looks to be off their target version since it had the beavertail style for end. A couple things had to be pointed out to the guy selling it. First thing I noticed was it was missing an action screw and not the one tucked under the bottom bolt release and second was the front sight was broken off. I paid him $380. I installed a fiber optic front sight and screwed in a new action screw.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/Jamie_MG/Mobile%20Uploads/savage%202_zpsnveoxeoy.jpg (http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/Jamie_MG/media/Mobile%20Uploads/savage%202_zpsnveoxeoy.jpg.html)

thomae
07-10-2015, 11:12 AM
I have a Model 10 FCM Scout. One of the older ones...about 5 years old, I think. Accustock and DBM in 7.62x39. I used a scope to sight in ammo and develop a load, but hunt with it with open sights that are slightly modified. I have a screw in adjustable aperture for the rear that really helps compensate for differing light conditions. I replaced the front brass bead with a Williams firesight red fiber optic sight (and an open hood to keep it from being damaged in the woods). It seems to work well for me in most conditions.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?15461-Savage-10-FCM-Scout-in-7-62x39-review

cowboybart
07-10-2015, 06:15 PM
I had one in 416 Wby. I see a "need" for it in a heavy recoiling rifle. That being said I am building one on a 95 Mauser in 7x57. No reason for the build other than to be different.