PDA

View Full Version : 116 .270 barrel

Bolthead
06-24-2015, 12:58 PM
I recently purchased a 1990s vintage 116, S/N F450xxx. Last night I was taking a good look at the muzzle end and noticed that the bore has what appears to be faint and very fine honing marks similar to what you would see in an engine cylinder. They are on both the lands and grooves. Rifiling appears to be in excellent shape all the way to the muzzle. Just wondering what may have caused these. I have no history on this gun, but the rest of the metal looks like new. Bolt was extremely stiff from machining burrs in the cocking mechanism, which have since been taken care of. Closet queen perhaps?
AP

GeorgeS
06-24-2015, 02:44 PM
There may have been a bit of rust at the muzzle end and someone used a brush impregnated with mild abrasive compound to clean it up.

mbogo

Bolthead
06-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Doesn't look like anything serious, just very very faint lines. Wish they went the same direction as the barrel. Am going to take it to the range thsi weekend and see how it shoots. Can't wait. The first Savage I wanted to buy was a 116, and now I have one. Love that stainless! Will be fun to compare the .270 to my 30-06.

big honkin jeep
06-26-2015, 11:24 PM
Choot It!

GaCop
07-04-2015, 06:18 AM
What your seeing are machine marks from the original boring of the barrel before the grooves were button rifled. Factory barrels don't have the luxury of being lapped when finished. Shooting will smooth out the bore to some degree.

Bolthead
07-07-2015, 05:34 PM
I was wondering if that might be the case. Barrel looks like it has a very low round count. Took it out a couple of weeks ago and put a few rounds down the tube. Couldn't hit the broad side of a large barn. Turned out the action was squirming its' way loose from the squishey no pillar tupperware stock. When I tightened it back up, the bolt started binding. Loosened and re-tightened, bolt was OK. Picked up a two pillar stock that I am going to use until i decide what I really want. Probably why the rifle wasn't used much in the past 20+ years.