PDA

View Full Version : Edge parts

Pages : [1] 2

BrettSass844
05-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Has anyone heard what aftermarket parts will be available for the new Edge models? Drop in barrels, stocks and so on. I have heard pretty good things about them so far and for the money its hard to beat.

82boy
05-25-2010, 12:36 PM
The Edge, has limited aftermarket parts availability, and I am fairly sure it will remain that way. If you want a gun that you can change or modify then you should seriously look at the Stevens 200. The Stevens is only a few dollars more, but has a ton of potential, and a boat load of aftermarket parts.

If you still must believe you need an Edge I will list every available part for it in the following list.

1. EGW picatinny rail.

There you go.

The Edge will accept aftermarket barrels from a Savage, but the stock is so thin you only choice is sporter barrels. The Edge share no other parts.

Everett
09-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Unless you are not a look at only type of guy you can add allot of stuff, barrel, stock, bolt handle to name a few, or just about anything you want to do. ;D

You can open your stock for a heavy barrel, that's why they make dremel tools and sandpaper believe me it looks good...

Of course those ""entry level"" guns are for US BEGINNERS!

82boy
09-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Unless you are not a look at only type of guy you can add allot of stuff, barrel, stock, bolt handle to name a few, or just about anything you want to do. ;D

The Edge will not use a Savage bolt handle or stock.

sayak
09-22-2011, 12:19 AM
If people deluged Boyds with a request for stocks for the Edge, we would get them in short order (I've been bugging them).

But here's a question for you: If you put Edge hardware into a wooden or otherwise aftermarket stock have you not voided the whole concept of the Edge as a lightweight, cheap, yet accurate firearm? Might as well buy another rifle such as a 110 or Stevens to begin with.

bobfortier
09-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Well, when I get my Edge home I plan to make a nice wood stock for it. I'll post pics of the project as it goes along, if anyone is interested.

ptisd335
09-22-2011, 07:15 AM
I would like to see a wood stock for the Edge I have been bugging Boyds as well

thomae
09-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Some civil discourse follows: Although I may disagree with others in what I say below, I am neither upset, nor am I attacking anyone personally.

The Edge, has limited aftermarket parts availability, and I am fairly sure it will remain that way. If you want a gun that you can change or modify then you should seriously look at the Stevens 200. The Stevens is only a few dollars more, [color=purple]( In my neck of the woods, a brand new Stevens 200($240) is less expensive than the Axis ($275) . Reference: http://issuu.com/digitalwires/docs/labor-day-catalog_2011?viewMode=magazine&mode=embed) but has a ton of potential, and a boat load of aftermarket parts.

If you still must believe you need an Edge I will list every available part for it in the following list.

1. EGW picatinny rail.

There you go.

I would agree that yes, currently, the Axis has very few aftermarket parts. Please don't forget the Rifle Basix Trigger, by the way ::)
However, I disagree (simply my opinion...) with the contention that this situation will not change. My belief (hope?) is that aftermarket parts will be manufactured when the suppliers/manufacturers decide that demand is high enough.

The Edge will accept aftermarket barrels from a Savage, but the stock is so thin you only choice is sporter barrels. The Edge share no other parts.

If people deluged Boyds with a request for stocks for the Edge, we would get them in short order (I've been bugging them).

But here's a question for you: If you put Edge hardware into a wooden or otherwise aftermarket stock have you not voided the whole concept of the Edge as a lightweight, cheap, yet accurate firearm? Might as well buy another rifle such as a 110 or Stevens to begin with.

I am missing the poster's logic here: If parts were available (...and, yes, I realize that makes this a hypothetical question), what would be the difference between modifying the Axis (a lightweight, inexpensive, yet accurate, firearm) and modifying a Stevens 200 (also a lightweight, inexpensive, yet accurate firearm)? I wonder if the poster is able to clarify the phrase "voiding the concept?"

In another (similar) thread, a poster stated:

The reason there's little to no aftermarket support for the Axis/Edge models is because most accessories would cost as much (or more) as the rifle itself and those buying these lower end rifles aren't the type to dump 2-3x what the gun cost into accessories. How many people are going to pay $300 for a stock or $300-400 for a barrel to put on a $250 gun? Not many as those wanting to customize would have been smart enough to buy a 110 to start with. Pretty much the same deal with the Model 25's.

I question the logic of the above post. (Of course, I could be wrong :D)

After reading numerous postings in this forum, it is clear to me that many forum members purchase used Savage or even new Stevens 200 rifle for builds, and then purchase and install accessories that "cost as much (or more) as the rifle itself" Would most people deliberately purchase a more expensive rifle to modify if they could get the same features in a less expensive rifle? Granted some purchase an expensive rifle because they want certain features and go about changing a some of the features they don't like, but many people purchase new or used rifles at low prices and then purchase expensive parts to install on them. I would suggest that the fact that the accessories are more expensive than the rifle does not deter anyone from purchasing and installing them.

I believe (opinion, here, I have not conducted scientific studies) that many members of this forum would love to get their hands on a $250 or lower priced gun so they could modify it. (How many forum members purchased the $179 Stevens 200s that were on sale about a year or so ago at a sporting goods chain {was it Academy Sports?}?) I believe people would love to purchase an action or a rifle for that price. If it were a rifle, so much the better. The parts they remove might be able to be sold, thereby offsetting the ultimate price of whatever accessories they might purchase.

I agree that forum members who want to "build," "modify," or "accessorize" their rifles usually purchase Savage 10 or 110 rifles and actions (or their variants). I assert that this is because a) the actions make accurate rifles, and b) because the aftermarket parts and accessories are available. If those same parts and accessories were available for the Axis I believe (again, my opinion...) that people would be purchasing and modifying the Axis just as much. I believe there is nothing inherently "bad" about the Axis that makes it a poor rifle from which to build a modified custom rifle except for the current unavailability of parts.

Personally, I believe the best course of action is for Axis owners to make their desires for aftermarket parts known to the various manufacturers and retailers of those types of parts. If the businessmen think they can make a good enough profit, they will manufacture the parts. If they don't think the demand justifies it, they won't bother. (As with many things, "follow the money.")

Again, I am not upset, I am not ranting, and anyone may feel free to disagree with me or my logic - or lack thereof :D.
However, I thought I would respond to some of the thoughts and what I perceive as logical fallacies floating around this forum and this seemed as good a place as any.

Enjoy, and stay safe out there.
All the best.

(Thomae quickly presses the "Post" button and then hides under the desk to avoid being hit by the incoming responses!)

82boy
09-22-2011, 11:46 AM
[quote=82boy ]
The Edge, has limited aftermarket parts availability, and I am fairly sure it will remain that way. If you want a gun that you can change or modify then you should seriously look at the Stevens 200. The Stevens is only a few dollars more, [color=purple]( In my neck of the woods, a brand new Stevens 200($240) is less expensive than the Axis ($275) . Reference: http://issuu.com/digitalwires/docs/labor-day-catalog_2011?viewMode=magazine&mode=embed) but has a ton of potential, and a boat load of aftermarket parts.

1. EGW picatinny rail.

There you go.

I would agree that yes, currently, the Axis has very few aftermarket parts. Please don't forget the Rifle Basix Trigger, by the way ::)
However, I disagree (simply my opinion...) with the contention that this situation will not change. My belief (hope?) is that aftermarket parts will be manufactured when the suppliers/manufacturers decide that demand is high enough.

If you look at date when this responce was written, at that time there was no RB trigger availible for the Axis.

thomae
09-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Well, I'll be.....

Attention to detail: Somewhat lacking on my part ::) !

I didn't look at the dates...hadn't seen the thread before and had presumed it was current...didn't realize your post was 16 months old.

What can I say? You got me there! +10 points for you, -10 points for me :-[.

All the best,

sharpshooter
09-22-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm questioning the logic of all this. For those of you who own an Axis or Edge, you really need to study the very basics of it's manufacture.
Study the stock, and tell me why a plastic injected stock is inexpensive to make.
Study the receiver, and tell me how many machining operations were eliminated compared to a model 12.
Study the fire control mechanism and tell me why it is designed to "float". Take it out of the stock and you will see what I mean.
The Axis rifles cost $75.00 less than a Stevens 200 to [b]manufacture.[b] The reason is the new technology applied in the tools used in manufacturing. For the intended purpose, an entry level general purpose rifle, this is a value targeted to a specific price point market.
Don't believe for one moment that this line is gonna to out produce or out sell the current flagship models that have been proven performers.
The 10/110 and it's variants has been around for over 50 years, with over 7 million manufactured. That's a big market for any aftermarket goodies, and a market that will still stay strong, even if they became obsolete tomorrow.

The Axis rifle is not a good candidate for a custom build when better platforms are available at very little cost above the price of an Axis.
Don't get me wrong, I been studying the market for opportunity. To gear up for a new venture into the world of the unknown takes lots of research to find out what customers want, and what they are willing to pay.

Which leads to the next question: What are shooters willing to pay for a stock?

JamesD
09-23-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm questioning the logic of all this. For those of you who own an Axis or Edge, you really need to study the very basics of it's manufacture.
Study the stock, and tell me why a plastic injected stock is inexpensive to make.
Study the receiver, and tell me how many machining operations were eliminated compared to a model 12.
Study the fire control mechanism and tell me why it is designed to "float". Take it out of the stock and you will see what I mean.
The Axis rifles cost $75.00 less than a Stevens 200 to [b]manufacture.[b] The reason is the new technology applied in the tools used in manufacturing. For the intended purpose, an entry level general purpose rifle, this is a value targeted to a specific price point market.
Don't believe for one moment that this line is gonna to out produce or out sell the current flagship models that have been proven performers.
The 10/110 and it's variants has been around for over 50 years, with over 7 million manufactured. That's a big market for any aftermarket goodies, and a market that will still stay strong, even if they became obsolete tomorrow.

The Axis rifle is not a good candidate for a custom build when better platforms are available at very little cost above the price of an Axis.
Don't get me wrong, I been studying the market for opportunity. To gear up for a new venture into the world of the unknown takes lots of research to find out what customers want, and what they are willing to pay.

Exactly. These are "budget" rifles that work very well. They are designed for entry level enthusiasts like myself. I'm not going to look into other aftermarket stocks or barrels for this rifle. The best mods you can do to these rifles is mostly homemade ones. Messing with trigger assembly, bedding the stock and maybe putting better scope bases on it is far as I would go and recommend. By the time you pay for an aftermarket stock and different barrel, your right up there with the Stevens and better Savage's. Savage made these rifles cheap so the consumer can pick them up cheap but that does not mean they are of less quality just designed for a certain need.

James

sayak
09-23-2011, 11:26 PM

I'd pay $100. I've built up inferior rifles such as the Russian Mosin Nagant just for the challenge and fun. And though the Edge is not inferior, it would be a challenge. It is the same thing as customizing anything: fun to make things the way you want them to be rather than how the factory made them.

AASavage
02-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Hello everyone,

What is the general assessment of the performance of the Axis' receiver/bolt/action? This is the basic backbone of the rifle. Stocks, triggers, barrels, and optics come and go but is the Axis action design/manufacture a good product?

thomae said "If those same parts and accessories were available for the Axis I believe (again, my opinion...) that people would be purchasing and modifying the Axis just as much. I believe there is nothing inherently "bad" about the Axis that makes it a poor rifle from which to build a modified custom rifle except for the current unavailability of parts."

Would Savage still have a good rifle if they only made the Axis but offered the full benefit of good options for stocks, triggers, and barrels? Could it be that Savage has determined how to make a high performance action at lower cost but that a warming-up time will be required before the large consumer market will accept it? Or has Savage simply generated a lower cost and lower performing action like Remington did with the 710/770?

Andy

82boy
02-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Hello everyone,
What is the general assessment of the performance of the Axis' receiver/bolt/action?

It is the bic pen, or bic lighter of guns. It functions, but when it is used up your throw it away and buy another.

Would Savage still have a good rifle if they only made the Axis but offered the full benefit of good options for stocks, triggers, and barrels?

I would quit buying Savage if that was all they offered. The Axis/Edge is no were close to the same caliber of rifle as the 10/110 rifle line is.

Or has Savage simply generated a lower cost and lower performing action like Remington did with the 710/770?

BINGO, whe have a winner!

thomae
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM
The Axis/Edge is no were close to the same caliber of rifle as the 10/110 rifle line is.

Actually, many of the calibers are exactly the same; ;D :D ;) ;D :D ;)

(I'm here all week!)

seanmurphy265
02-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Here's my take on the Savage Axis.
Some people cannot afford to spend but a certain amount of $$$ on a gun. If you hunt then you will also need a good scope. My Nikon scope cost $200.00, which kept me in the low $500.00 range by the time I purchased my gun, sling, scope, bullets, and paid sales tax. I hunt on public land so it's not my main gun, because of our hunting regulations. I do however hunt with a friend who has farmland that we hunt, and so I needed a longer range gun. The axis was in my budget, I read all the reviews, my local gun shop was very impressed with how many they have sold without any complaints. I purchased my axis, took it out and sighted it in. I did the trigger mod, and then I sighted my gun again. All of the sudden I realized this is a really accurate hunting riffle. I like the way it shoots. It's a good gun. It may be a budget gun, but it performs well.

The other side.
With youtube and the sharing on information people can figure out how to make improvements on things. For example I buy a lot of tools at Harbor Freight. I know they are cheap tools. I always read the reviews and only buy the tools with good reviews. Then I go to youtube and see if someone has come up with some type of mod or fix. I know that I can't afford the name brand tool, but if I can save a little money, and then later do some upgrades I'm OK with that. With all the sharing of information on forums lots of people are willing to modify a particular product they purchase now more than ever. The do it yourselfer can easily mod something with the help of the internet. There are lots of people who like to tinker, myself included. Yes I know that it's a Savage Axis but it's my axis and it's exactly the way I like it!

The more expensive guns are turn key, and the average person is not going to take a $500.00+ gun apart and tinker with it. The axis is inexpensive and most of all very simple to work on. This makes the axis a perfect candidate for the do it yourslefer.

Guns are kinda like tools because most people keep them for a life time. It may not make sense to pump $500.00 into a $300.00 gun, but if your never going to sell a gun then why not? Might as well make the gun exactly like you want it.

I would pay $150.00 -$250.00 for a nice synthetic stock. I hunt with my axis and wood get too scratched up for me.

AASavage
02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
The Axis/Edge is no were close to the same caliber of rifle as the 10/110 rifle line is.

What, specifically, don't you like about the Axis receiver/bolt/action design? I am in no way trying to defend the value of the Axis. I don't have one and am simply trying to discover the extent to which Savage compromised performance for the sake of offering a less expensive product. Is the Axis ACTION inferior to the 10/110?

It may be a budget gun, but it performs well.

The criticisms that I read are about the stock, trigger, and that there isn't much aftermarket support. I find nothing bad about this new low cost action.

The more expensive guns are turn key

What if Savage made a turn key high end rifle based on the Axis receiver/bolt/action? That would include a top notch stock, barrel, and trigger.

Lots of people buy Stevens 200's and then change out the trigger, stock, and even the barrel. Would people do that to an Axis if there were as many stocks and triggers and magazines available for the Axis as there are for the Rem 700?

I am sorry if I am dragging this on, but I haven't found answers to these questions.

Andy

bobfortier
02-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Well, I wanted a cheap project gun. My Axis in 223 will be used as a single shot only, for target shooting and maybe coyote or groundhog. I built a new stock for it, I bought a used Savage 12 VLP barrel with a 1:7 twist that I will install shortly.

So I'll have a rifle capable of shooting heavy bullets at long distances, for less than 700$ canadian. I paid the Axis 300$, got a cheap 4-14/50 scope on it for 120$, I payed the barrel 175$. I'll get an EGW 20MOA base for it (about 50$) and that will be it. I also learned a lot on Savage rifle, I plan on offering laminated stocks (for canadians only) so I now have a model onto which to measure for my stocks.

I think that Axis rifle are not used as much as a base for project because there is no aftermarket support, but I kinda created my own aftermarket, so I'll have a nice axis-based rifle.

82boy
02-09-2012, 01:38 PM
What, specifically, don't you like about the Axis receiver/bolt/action design? I am in no way trying to defend the value of the Axis. I don't have one and am simply trying to discover the extent to which Savage compromised performance for the sake of offering a less expensive product. Is the Axis ACTION inferior to the 10/110?

To start yes the Axis is an inferior design to the tried and trued Savage design. The part I dislike the most about the axis/Edge rifle is that it doesn't have a tang, and the trigger is free floated. They used a roll pin, and bolting the gun down in the stock to suport the trigger group.

I also am not a big fan of the firing pin set up, with the spring behind the pin. Not there there is anything wrong with the design, but the biggest problem I seen so far with these guns is the spring digging into the rear screw, and un loading, causeing ingnition problems. The fix is simple by nocking the edge off the spring, and/or placing a washer between the screw and spring.

Next thing I dont care about the Axis/edge is Savage removed the rear baffel and incorperated it in to the action. Savage claimes a "Smooth" bolt opperation, but I dont see it. I find that the bolt opperation is much harder than a Savage, but it fools people do to the lighter spring set up with the rear spring. My complaint is I find that the edge/Axis is short on primary extraction.

Other problems with the axis/edge is the magazine set up, with the plastic cap. I find that plastic is a wonderful componete but I question is durability when flexed back and forth for mutiple amounts of times. It also by design makes setting up an aftermarket stock a pin in the but. About the only way it can be done is using the axis/edge multi purpous trigger guard.

Last thing I hate about the Axis/edge is do to the high volume of sales savage will be droping the Stevens 200 line.

It may be a budget gun, but it performs well.

The criticisms that I read are about the stock, trigger, and that there isn't much aftermarket support. I find nothing bad about this new low cost action.
What if Savage made a turn key high end rifle based on the Axis receiver/bolt/action? That would include a top notch stock, barrel, and trigger.
Andy
[/quote]

Well, this is not the point, when makers upgrade stuff the raise the price. The Axis/Edge already has a top notch barrel, it is the same barrel found on a Savage rifle. If you have Savage put a more expensive stock, and better trigger on the gun they would then be in the pricing point of their Savage rifles, and this would miss the whole marketing point. The Edge rifle was designed to compeate with the Remington 770. Savage cliames that they could not produce the Stevens at a cost to compeate with this gun, so in a record time span the compleated a gun that would.

Now lets look closer into savage market. Somewere around 85-90% of savages maket is in hunting rifles, that people will never change a thing about them. They wil take them out of the box, and shot them, and do this year after year. The people on this site that modify their guns are a small part of savage market. Now for the person that wants a good preforming hunting rifle, and they will pull it out the box, mount a scope and shoot it, and never change a thing, the Edge would be a good fit to them. But for the guy wanting to build a gun or modify it the edge is a poor fit, where the Savage 10/110 is a far better fit.

If you compairing accuracy, and if this is where your going with the Edge/axis thing, well lets put it this way, the edge/Axis has savage accuracy, why becuase it all lies in the barrel. Whe it comes down to accuracy the action has little to do with it, it is all in the barrel and bullets.