PDA

View Full Version : Edge parts

Pages : 1 [2]

AASavage
02-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Thank you, 82boy, for taking the time to give me some specific details. You have probably already explained these points on this forum, but I failed to find it. I really appreciate your patience.

bobfortier: You have now invested significantly in the Axis so I would assume that you will not quickly abandon it and that you would shoot it much more than the average Axis buyer. I would be interested in knowing your feelings about your rifle as the number of rounds fired grows.

Andy

seanmurphy265
02-09-2012, 05:17 PM
I would probably purchase the Stevens 200 just because of the aftermarket support. I never had any intentions of wanting to modify or build on the Axis platform. I watched youtube video reviews, and then I found this forum when I wanted to work on the trigger.

I would not purchase I higher end Axis. This may sound stupid, but this market is for the do it yourselfers / want to learn how to work on a gun line. Some people want a product that is ready to go in perfect working condition. They will always buy the best they can possibly afford. Then there is the ones who like the idea of a fixer-upper. It's not so much about saving money over the long haul. It is about saving a little money on the front end. As you get the extra cash you do a little upgrade, and eventually you have exactly what you want, but most importantly it was built by you!

It's the same idea as people who restore old cars, fix up and remodel old houses. In the end you may not save any money, but you have something that is exactly what you wanted.

That's my view of the Axis. It is the entry level budget gun, but it's also the gun for those of us who like to tinker.

AASavage
02-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Well, I can't see the benefit of tinkering with something that is basically inferior. If I were to modify a car, I would start with something that had at least one very valuable asset. The Stevens 200 and the Axis are very comparable in price. A used Savage 10/110 with a beat up stock, ratty trigger, and abused barrel is pretty cheap but may have a very valuable receiver on which to base a top performing build. The Axis has a marginal stock, ratty trigger, and a good barrel. If the Axis receiver is also inferior then the only keeper is the barrel and I would be ahead by starting off with a Stevens or a used Savage or a used Stevens. Clearly, in the world of car "building" some individuals begin with a turkey, end with no original parts, and spend a lot of money in between. This is foolish.

However, if the Axis receiver is an undiscovered jewel and the consumer is mistaken in thinking the Axis receiver is a compromise, then we will have missed an opportunity.

82boy points out some serious shortcomings of the basic Axis receiver design. Anyone care to express agreement or disagreement?

Andy

superloggy
02-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Well if my inferior,cheap Axis keeps shooting such small groupings, I think I'll hang on to it.

And this is the Edge/Axis section for people who want to talk about them. I already bought one and will likely buy a couple more.

I will say that the bolt cycle is not the smoothest probably due to the extra length but it has never miss fed. Luckily I don't cycle the bolt fast, as tho enemy forces are bearing down on me, at the range. And the magazine is cheap/flimsy and you have to be carefull with it. The length of pull is really long too, but I'm tall and it fits me fine.

If they make more parts for the edge/axis I will buy them.

seanmurphy265
02-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Well if my inferior,cheap Axis keeps shooting such small groupings, I think I'll hang on to it.

I will say that the bolt cycle is not the smoothest probably due to the extra length but it has never miss fed. Luckily I don't cycle the bolt fast, as tho enemy forces are bearing down on me, at the range. And the magazine is cheap/flimsy and you have to be carefull with it. The length of pull is really long too, but I'm tall and it fits me fine.

After I got my Savage Axis, I managed to improperly sight my rifle in. I was hunting and manged to miss a deer three times. I was forever more shucking some shells! It may not be as smooth as other rifles, but when I was in a hurry I managed to put three rounds in few seconds without any issues at all. Most of my issues have occurred because I did not have the clip properly attached to the stock. The stock and the clip are my only complaints.

I will say this one thing I like about the Axis is the price. I have walked through thorns and thickets and not worried about scratching my gun! I hunted with a Browning A bolt for a while. I loved that gun, but I was constantly worried about scratching the stock.

rooster57
02-10-2012, 10:32 PM

After I got my Savage Axis, I managed to improperly sight my rifle in. I was hunting and manged to miss a deer three times. I was forever more shucking some shells! It may not be as smooth as other rifles, but when I was in a hurry I managed to put three rounds in few seconds without any issues at all. Most of my issues have occurred because I did not have the clip properly attached to the stock. The stock and the clip are my only complaints.

I will say this one thing I like about the Axis is the price. I have walked through thorns and thickets and not worried about scratching my gun! I hunted with a Browning A bolt for a while. I loved that gun, but I was constantly worried about scratching the stock.

I agree that if someone is looking for a gun to build on, the Axis is not the best choice because of the lack of aftermarket parts. For those like myself that purchased their Axis/Edge mainly because we know it doesn't take a $1000 rifle to take deer size game, the Axis is hard to beat and in MHO is way better than the Remington 770. I own (2) 7mm-08 and .233 which will bring down anything that I hunt. I have the trigger on both of mine lightened to 1 1/2 - 2 lbs by digital scale and the bolt is noticably smoother after properly cleaning the bore and action with boiling water, dish soap and some Brasso. I've owned a Savage 116 Weather Warrior 30-06 that is 12 yrs old and will drive tacks with my handloads (Price this gun now!) and both my Axis rifles have the same inherent Savage accuracy. Enough said.