PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 243, What twist with what bullet weight?

JSpoo
09-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I bought a Savage 243 and I'm going to switch out the barrel for a bull barrel. I've never shot 243 and don't know what is the best weight of bullet to shoot and what is the best twist to use when I order the new barrel. Any advice would be helpful, thanks

northlander
09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
JSpoo,
Just a few questions up front:
1. What do you want to do with your 243 when your barrel swap is completed?
2. Do you plan to carry it much with the Bull Barrel on it?
3. What is the farthest you plan to shoot your new rifle at?

You may have to swap out your Stock as well as the Barrel. Most Bull Barrels are quite large and they do not fit in many regular stocks without serious inletting. If you are planning on shooting heavier bullets for longer distances you will need a faster twist to stabalize them.

Jim Briggs
NSS

JSpoo
09-17-2009, 10:02 AM
This is strictly target shooting. I bought the 243 for my daughter and all she wants to do is target shoot. I'm going to be reloading for it.
Hopefully I can get her into reloading also. I think its cool that she wants to shoot. I got a post in reloading also. The rifle will not be used to hunt and I have all ready planned on changing the stock out.
I'm just looking for the best twist for the barrel with the best weight of bullet for shooting long distance.

northlander
09-17-2009, 10:20 AM
JSpoo,
Based on your comments you should look real closely at the 8 Twist Barrels in the 6 BR or 6X47 Lapua calibers. Both of these 6mm calibers will easily give you a potential tack driver rig. The 8 Twist will allow you to shoot up to the 105 - 108 gr. bullets. For ranges up to 600 yards both of those calibers will enable you to tune in a load with excellent results. For shooting out to 1000 yards the 6X47 Lapua does have a velocity advantage that helps quite a bit in the wind.

For Bench use the Bull Barrel does have its advantages as well. I offer both 26" and 28" in Small Shank Barrels as well as 28" and 30" in the Large Shank Barrels. Several customers are shooting real tack drivers in the 6mm calibers. I see no reason why your new rifle with your daughter doing the shooting can't be another one.

I shot with my daughter for 7 years. She shot well enough to make the Minnesota State Sub-Junior and then Junior Team every year. It was not cheap but It was something we still share to this day.

Jim Briggs
NSS