PDA

View Full Version : 16 Lightweight for the boy.

SlimySquirrel
06-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Man, it's been a while since I posted on here.

Since my regular trips to the USA have stopped I have been lured into the land of Remington (noooooooooooo!!!)

But I still hold a flame for the Savage Rifles. I don't know what it is but they always seem to call my name!

Anyway, I have been eyeing up a first Centrefire for my boy. He is 11 and shot his first Goat @ 100 mtr with a nicely placed neck shot (17 HMR) a few weeks back so he is well and truly hooked.

I have been sifting through the classifieds in search of a lightweight rifle that I can buy a Boyds stock for to shorten the pull. Mostly eyeing up a Rem Model 7 but I just caught this picture in the NZ Guns & Hunting mag and it seems NZ is lucky enough to be getting a new? Model 16 Lightweight in Stainless Barrel / Synthetic stock combo.

I have enquired about them and I am just waiting on a price.

I mean, they really fit the bill, well priced, accurate, very very light at 5.5 lb and they handle incredibly well going on the last Blue / Wood combo I fondled a few years back.

I have gone for the .260 model since I have a 6.5-284 so we can use the same projectiles.

Sorry for the crappy photo as it's taken out of a mag

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/SlimySquirrel/67e79ed5a2496668da4ee947a948ff0a8b55a15a2e2182750c 747d1c2943e452_zpsn6t61eoz.jpg

I did have plans to buy a cheap Stevens 200 and customise it but this has pretty much covered everything I would do except maybe flute the barrel... but there is no need here since it's light enough.

The other draw back is that I sold my SSS fishnet bolt (FOOL!!!) and they make the throw so clean and smooth so I will have to find another! Not an easy task when you live in NZ!! So a new rifle it is!

gotcha
06-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Looks like the rifle in your pic has a spiral flute not a bad trade off of the fishnet. If you were my Dad I'd be VERY happy :)

SlimySquirrel
06-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Yeah I just saw a really cheap stevens though that I coulda started work on... seems better when you dream it up and build it. I guess thats the thing with Savage, you can dream it and build it for a decent price!