PDA

View Full Version : Extractor damaging brass rim and hard to chamber

Darkrow
06-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Hello, this is my first post and first savage build. Tried searching the net and this forum but had no luck.

I recently bought a savage 11 in 223, I am converting it into a .260.

New barrel,stock,ptg bolt body,and ptg bolt head. I installed everything, head spaced the barrel etc.... everything went smoothly. That is until I went to chamber a empty case (already sized). The extractor has a terrible time jumping over the rim of the cartridge, have to use a lot of force. And when it does finally jump over and I eject the case the rim of the case is damaged and deformed showing deep marks from the extractor.

Somthing is is clearley wrong but I dont know where to look. It's a brand new extractor and a brand new PTG bolt head.
I am thinking the ball detent hole is drilled in the wrong location or something causing to much pressure to cam out of the way.

Any ideas??? Any help is appreciated.

Hotolds442
06-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Did you order the correct extractor? It should have been Savage part number 100139
the issue you're having is exactly what it's like when you use a 223 extractor......

Darkrow
06-21-2015, 03:14 PM
That was my first thought, but when I looked up the extractor it says "All calibers" in the description, I looked up the part number you gave me and it also says all calibers.

Maybe I am missing something ( hope I am) and you found my problem. But it looks like the .223 and .308 bolt head share the same extractor? I will do a little more research on if they are different. It's worth buying the part and testing, they are only $5. And can't hurt to have an extra.

Thank you very much for responding.

BillPa
06-21-2015, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=Darkrow;323412But it looks like the .223 and .308 bolt head share the same extractor?.[/QUOTE]

They may now but the 223-204 extractors were longer from the detent to the outer edge. When using one of those for a .473 rimmed cartridge they'll contact the action when trying to jump the rim. Its easy to check, slip the rim of .473" case in extractor watching if it protrudes past the outside of the lug. If it does its one for a 204-223 and all you have to do is file it down so it doesn't.

Bill

Darkrow
06-21-2015, 05:02 PM
You are both right!!!!

Thanks guys, I did the check, that is definitely my problem.
Already ordered new extractor.

Thanks again for the help!

Hotolds442
06-21-2015, 08:56 PM
FYI the 223/204 extractor part number is 102278. I did not know that they are now using a "one size fits all" extractor, and the Savage Parts Finder says otherwise on recently manufactured 204/223 rifles - they show the 102278.