PDA

View Full Version : 110 in 218 bee

Jimdgreat1
06-21-2015, 12:02 AM
Was going to rebarrel a ruger #1 to 218 bee. The thought to use a savage action instead has crossed my mind.

How hard to feed would this be?

I can open up a 223 bolt face on the lathe. Orr is it too hard?

darkker
06-21-2015, 01:55 AM
Ruined cartridges can be tricky, but would expect any particular issues otherwise.

Hotolds442
06-21-2015, 11:14 AM
rimmed cartridges can be tricky, but would'nt expect any particular issues otherwise.
Fixed it for ya.....

GaCop
06-22-2015, 05:55 PM
I don't believe you can get a rimmed cartridge to work well in a Savage action, if at all.

bootsmcguire
06-22-2015, 11:22 PM
I don't believe you can get a rimmed cartridge to work well in a Savage action, if at all.

As a repeater it can be a challenge. As a single shot, it is entirely possible. Longer cartridges can be done as a repeater. I have my Striker in 444 Marlin and it repeats fine. The only issue is to be sure to get your rounds loaded properly so the rims don't lock. I have a blank I acquired in .311 bore that I am going to do in 327 Fed Mag or 32 H&R Mag one of these days. It will be a single shot of course.

Also you must have your barrel maker chamber the barrel so it headspaces on the shoulder (or case mouth if a straight wall cartridge is to be used) and not on the rim.

darkker
06-22-2015, 11:36 PM
Fixed it for ya.....

Copy that, thanks.
F.U. auto-correct:cool:

jonbearman
06-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Do the ruger #1 and save yourself a lot of heartache and money. That little rim is so thin and the feeding into the chamber will be a pain. I have a #1 in .218 bee and it is a joy to shoot.

GaCop
06-26-2015, 07:40 AM
As a repeater it can be a challenge. As a single shot, it is entirely possible. Longer cartridges can be done as a repeater. I have my Striker in 444 Marlin and it repeats fine. The only issue is to be sure to get your rounds loaded properly so the rims don't lock. I have a blank I acquired in .311 bore that I am going to do in 327 Fed Mag or 32 H&R Mag one of these days. It will be a single shot of course.

Also you must have your barrel maker chamber the barrel so it headspaces on the shoulder (or case mouth if a straight wall cartridge is to be used) and not on the rim. Good to know, thanks! That would be a project I'd be interested in too, along with a 219 zipper.

bootsmcguire
06-27-2015, 01:11 AM
Good to know, thanks! That would be a project I'd be interested in too, along with a 219 zipper.

Ahh the good ol' 219 Zipper. One of my Grandfather's favorite rounds. He had a Winchester High Wall Single shot fitted with a very heavy barrel and dual set triggers chambered in 219. In his notes he mentioned having it redone in 219 Zipper-AI and even had the dies already purchased, but the barrel just didn't get shot out. He had a 2" group in a frame that was labeled 219 Zipper - 600yds. And the scope he had on it was an old Weaver K3. I never got to talk to him much about guns, I was just to young and he passed before I hit Jr. High school. Dad has the gun now and a couple years back we got it out and finally decided to shoot her, all we had were some of Gramp's handloads that had been sitting with the gun for well over 20yrs, but even so she shot like a champ and I know Grandpa was looking down smiling.

One of these days I had better do up a 219AI barrel, just because.

GaCop
06-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Ahh the good ol' 219 Zipper. One of my Grandfather's favorite rounds. He had a Winchester High Wall Single shot fitted with a very heavy barrel and dual set triggers chambered in 219. In his notes he mentioned having it redone in 219 Zipper-AI and even had the dies already purchased, but the barrel just didn't get shot out. He had a 2" group in a frame that was labeled 219 Zipper - 600yds. And the scope he had on it was an old Weaver K3. I never got to talk to him much about guns, I was just to young and he passed before I hit Jr. High school. Dad has the gun now and a couple years back we got it out and finally decided to shoot her, all we had were some of Gramp's handloads that had been sitting with the gun for well over 20yrs, but even so she shot like a champ and I know Grandpa was looking down smiling.

One of these days I had better do up a 219AI barrel, just because. I love anything AI. I built a 223AI three years ago and it's a tack driver. Last time out with it two weeks ago, I shot it at 550 yards and ended up with a 10 shot 3.5" group with the Hornady 75 grain BTHP.