PDA

View Full Version : Range trip #4....I can't shoot!

Pages : 1 [2]

MikeCTX
05-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Elkbane said..."When you grip the stock, don't wrap you hand around it like a tennis racket; just use your bottom three fingers to snug the rifle to your shoulder, with your thumb along the top strap behind the saftey. In that position, it's almost impossible to torque the stock with your trigger pull. Practice that grip by dry-firing while looking at the target (it's free). The x-hair shouldn't move when the trigger breaks."

Just discovered this recently, and it really improved my groups. There are a lot of 'little' things to watch, and I plan to try a few more of Elkbane's tips (Thanks!!). The guys here are great, I had a LOT of questions last year and they all (Thanks 1shot and everyone else) were a BIG help. Still lots to learn, but each trip helps!

BrentWin
05-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Take a deep breath and relax. This is supposed to be fun isn't it?

I looks like your RL15 loads are plenty good for this point in time. Now is the time to work on you. Use Elkbane and other's tips and improve your technique. Later, when your technique is refined, you can return to seeing if you can't knock off a few 1/100ths with loads.

TnTom
05-30-2010, 10:19 PM
The groups look very familiar.

Make it a point to assure your finger is always in the same spot when going on the trigger. I sometimes neglect to do just that and it will change the POI.

Follow through with each shot. After you fire don't release your trigger until you have the cross hairs back on your POA after you have slid the rifle back into its stop.

Do you focus on your cross hair or on the target. Don't shift you eye back and forth. I like to keep my eye on the cross (I use a Weaver T-24)

If you haven't taken the swivel off I'd get it off. It can't help being there at all. Do you have a stop on your front rest? Are all the nuts on the front rest TIGHT?

Also if you work on the follow through your x-hairs will stop that annoying jump unless maybe the spring is too heavy. Do you get much of a dimple in the primer?

Do you powder the front rest and rear bag and does the rifle slide with no drag? Does you bag stay put?

Are you shooting from a rigid bench...concrete? If not work on shooting prone. If its not a cement bench or a really solid bench you will measure it in your group. When you plant your upper body on the bench do you see motion at the cross hair? My agg is always better prone if I don't have a concrete bench available. The earth doesn't move as fast as a wobbly bench.

If I don't make it a point to exhale hold and squeeze I'll throw one.