PDA

View Full Version : 338-06 blowing primers

Pages : 1 [2] 3

olddav
07-31-2015, 07:14 PM
I hate to drag up this old thread but I just heard from Barnes. They assured me that the load info that they supplied was accurate. I responded that I no longer trusted the info that they had supplied (at least not in the heat of the Gulf Coast).

BillPa
07-31-2015, 09:24 PM
I hate to drag up this old thread but I just heard from Barnes. They assured me that the load info that they supplied was accurate.

Sure, for the components, rifle and under the conditions they used them. So much for what the book sez huh?

olddav
07-31-2015, 10:32 PM
I have often heard, always use published receipt and never exceed max load. That kind of implies some reliability in data supplied by manufactures of componets. In this case not so much, I will not shoot another bullet (160 grain TTSX) untill I acquire a software program to help me find a safe range to start again. Call me a wimp if you must!

LongRange
07-31-2015, 10:38 PM
I have often heard, always use published receipt and never exceed max load. That kind of implies some reliability in data supplied by manufactures of componets. In this case not so much, I will not shoot another bullet (160 grain TTSX) untill I acquire a software program to help me find a safe range to start again. Call me a wimp if you must!

Quick load ;)

BillPa
08-01-2015, 10:36 AM
I have often heard, always use published receipt and never exceed max load.

Its not unusual for charge weights to vary source to source, both starting and maximum. It depends on the components used and of course as we discussed earlier the ammo temperature when it was developed.

Bill

darkker
08-01-2015, 10:47 AM

The software won't give you what you want Dave, QL definitely won't.

ALL powders, typically both on their bottles and websites, tell you to "drop loads 10% when switching lots". Does your reloading data give you the lot number of the powder tested? No? So YOU ignored the warning about burning rate variations between lots, and are upset with Barnes!!??

Read the info in ANY manual, not just the load data. They tell you that they use SAAMI minimum spec pressure barrels. A mass produced firearm is not SAAMI minimum spec. So at the same operating pressure, your velocity will be lower. No where that I could see, did you ever post your velocities. REGARDLESS of what the load weight was, if you are matching or beating book velocity, you are higher pressure plain and simple. Your powders burning rate is enough different from that that was tested.

QL doesn't have the language, nor the amount of bomb testing needed to accurately describe anything coming out of General Dynamics Florida plant.
If you really want to know what is happening, call RSI and buy a Pressure Trace system.

olddav
08-01-2015, 01:13 PM
darkker
Perhaps you can help, I can't seem to find lot numbers for powder in the Hornady, Speer or Nosler manuals.

Robinhood
08-01-2015, 02:36 PM
You may have an issue that none of us can help you with.

olddav
08-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Robinhood
Yep this is just one of the many issues I have that no one can help me with:rolleyes:, but thanks to everyone for all the efforts. The answer maybe in here some where but it's nothing I am going to pursue any further.
Thanks again to all.

yobuck
08-01-2015, 03:28 PM
You may have an issue that none of us can help you with.

Thats exactly right. If everybody needed absolute assurance on everything old Chris Columbus would never have left Spain.
Everybody who owns a wildcat cartridge deals with the unknown when looking for loads.
You learn to listen to your gun and trust what its telling you.
One thing nice about a Savage is its easy to fix a scorched boltface once you get your loads worked up.

darkker
08-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Olddav, you aren't listening; you have been given the answer several times in this thread already.
Let's take this back to first grade.

Hodgdon will NOT give nominal lot variances.
So book data won't list lot numbers.

So, assume the worst, which is what you have already been told on the powder bottle.--- lot swings are on the 10% order.

Book data is pressure tested.

ANYTIME you exceed book data, you have exceeded SAAMI pressures. Amount of powder doesn't matter, remember a sentence ago that told us 10% variances.

scope eye
08-01-2015, 04:12 PM
First off although it can be used, I think H335 is to fast a powder for that setup that and you never said how far off the lands you were, this is what I would use as far as powders go.

from fastest to slowest

H4895
Imr4895
Imr4064
Varget
Win748
H380

Dean

Robinhood
08-01-2015, 04:14 PM
First off although it can be used, I think H335 is to fast a powder for that setup that and you never said how far off the lands you were, this is what I would use as far as powders go.

from fastest to slowest

H4895
Imr4895
Imr4064
Varget
Win748
H380

Dean

This.............. however he left off R15

scope eye
08-01-2015, 04:20 PM
This.............. however he left off R15

Doh!!!!!!

PS: RL15 would fall between Imr4064 and Varget.

PPS: No one likes a smart ___ :wacko:

Robinhood
08-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Pardon me Dean. No insult intended. Glad to see you posting. Where is your friend Frank these days.

scope eye
08-01-2015, 09:49 PM
I saw him go into a cat house and that was the last I ever saw of him, Hope he's OK.

Dean

olddav
08-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Scope eye
You are right H335 seems fast to me as well and I am not going to use it in this application in the future. In regards to distance from lands, I was seating the bullets .030 to .070 from the lands. In the future I am going to select a different powder and take another shot at this but first I will need a way to evaluate my options before loading anything.

scope eye
08-02-2015, 01:35 PM
What powders do you have on hand?

Dean

olddav
08-02-2015, 05:21 PM
IMR 4350
IMR 4895
H 335 (does not exist for the purposes of this decussion)

Using resized Winchester brass, Winchester WLR primers, Barnes 160 TTSX bullets

scope eye
08-02-2015, 07:04 PM
You can use as much H4895 as you were using H335 and will not be even close to pressure and then some.

Dean