PDA

View Full Version : Not really a joke but was funny to me.

tufrthnails
06-16-2015, 06:48 PM
We all know how things work. It's murphy's law if it can go wrong it will. I was loading up some .270win last night since I was down to 6 rounds and it was 78 deg out. I got 50 pieces of brass all tumbled and cleaned up. Sized and trimmed them. Popped open a brand new can of H4831 and measured them out to a perfect 56gr a piece. started seating the rounds to .020 off the lands. all was going well when I noticed my my tray of 140gr Hornady SST's were running a bit low. I figured it was going to be close but wouldn't you know it I was 4 bullets short of the 50. I know it happens to the best of us but dang I hate a short box. On a positive note I got the confirmation email for a Chronograph I didn't purchase from Midway!!!!! Looks like father's day is going to be a nice one for me ;)

fgw_in_fla
06-16-2015, 09:51 PM
At least you remembered to put the primers in...

tufrthnails
06-16-2015, 10:15 PM
At least you remembered to put the primers in...
HAHA! Frank yes I remembered to put them in just not to mention it! On a side note....all of my brass in the last batch that had been shot with the H1000 had the primers fall out of them over time? This is why I had ended up with 6 rounds left. My assumption is the pockets were stretched during firing, but there were no other signs of a hot load at least that I caught. No tough extractions the brass appeared to be in good shape. I have not changed primers. I do ream the primer pockets during prep, but just with a hand reamer.

foxx
06-16-2015, 10:57 PM
I've charged more cases without primers than I care to admit to.

tufrthnails
06-16-2015, 11:48 PM
I charged 30+ rounds of .223rem last month before I realized I had not primed them. I hate pulling bullets with that stupid hammer!!!! I was trying to build some tracers I had gotten from a surplus site. they don't trace BTW. but they work find for plinking.

barrel-nut
06-17-2015, 01:20 AM
Tufr, throw that hammer as hard as you can in Frank's direction and get you one of these (and the collet to go with it)... ;-)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/851547/hornady-cam-lock-bullet-puller
Worth it's weight in saved curse words lol

tufrthnails
06-17-2015, 05:28 AM
LOL I have been eye-balling one for a while now need to pull the trigger on it.

fgw_in_fla
06-17-2015, 05:50 AM
We had this discussion not too very long ago.

Give that hammer bullet banger thingie to someone you don't like and get one of the RCBS collet type. Bullets, brass & powder become reusable and you save money.

A side benefit is you get to watch someone else look like a jerk slamming that thing on the ground while cursing trying to get a cartridge to open.

My biggest fear was having the thing torch off while slamming it on the deck. There's something just not right with those things.

yobuck
06-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Id hang around here to get you guys up to speed on this stuff.
But the truck is loaded and warming up for my trek north.
Actually cooling down would be more appropriate.
Why do you ream primer pockets unless its military brass?
My curious mind wants to know lol.

tufrthnails
06-17-2015, 11:25 PM
LOL yes frank we have I am just stubborn and knowing that is half the battle!

YoBuck I was corrected on my terminology in the other thread. I am cleaning the pockets not reaming. The only thing I swag is the 5.56 stuff. Which is funny also. Before I learned you had to swag the primer pocket (i am telling on myself here) I was trying to prime some surplus 5.56 stuff and kept jacking up the primers, but if you hold your mouth just right you can get a few to go in. Not going to tell you how many I ruined before I googled the problem!!!! The funny thing is the amount of others posting up the problem I was searching!!!!! I'm not the only dull knife in the kitchen!

We had this discussion not too very long ago.

Give that hammer bullet banger thingie to someone you don't like and get one of the RCBS collet type. Bullets, brass & powder become reusable and you save money.

A side benefit is you get to watch someone else look like a jerk slamming that thing on the ground while cursing trying to get a cartridge to open.

My biggest fear was having the thing torch off while slamming it on the deck. There's something just not right with those things.