PDA

View Full Version : Savage OEM synthetic stock with molded in pillars

Bolthead
06-16-2015, 04:59 PM
I see that some of the Savage synthetic stocks have pillars molded in from the factory. I have one of the non-pillar tupperware stocks and was wondering if one of the pillar stocks would be much of an improvement.

GaCop
06-17-2015, 06:36 AM
It's possible. The barrel channel is still a weak point that can put pressure on the barrel. The only way to find out, is to try it.

Bolthead
06-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Even though the price for the synthetic stock with the pillars is reasonable, I think I will wait and buy a hardwood stock. I like the weight and the solid feel of the walnut stock on my 111, and am not in any real big hurry to change the 116.

tufrthnails
06-18-2015, 04:26 AM
still loving my Boyd's laminate. I would bet they will have a 4th of July Sale!

Bolthead
07-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Less than 20 shots and the action was trying to squirt out of the no-pillar stock. Went a little tighter on the bolts and the action started to bind. Picked up the 2 pillar Savage OEM stock and installed it last night. From what i can find out, Savage used a no-pillar stock in the early '90s when my 116 was made. Admitting that was not a good idea, they produced a front pillar stock for a short period in the mid '90s. Slight improvement, but they finally decided in '96 that two pillars was the way to go, and the barrel channel received some ribs. The "new" stock is date stamped DC 19 99, and is a much better design than the early ones. Haven't taken it back to the range yet, but I have no doubt that at least now I can shoot it. Those Boyd's laminates sure are pretty, but glass is next.

AP