PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new model 12 FV from Cabelas

Texas10
06-15-2015, 09:35 AM
I picked up a Savage model 12 FV in .223 at Cabelas yesterday, it was the last one they had at that store, and during the initial clean up I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of rust looking material in the chamber. I chamber brushed it, cleaned and re-examined but it still didn't look near as good as my BVSS chamber. The first half to three quarters inch is pretty rough looking when using my Snap-On video inspection tool.

I chambered several unfired Hornaday brass and each time the bolt was stiff in closing as well as opening. The brass came out with half a dozen deep scratches/gouges that also left brass streaks imbedded in the chamber in several places. The gouges in the brass were deep enough to easily catch my fingernail making it questionable for safely reloading.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

olddav
06-15-2015, 10:55 AM
I would suggest calling Savage and see what they have to say or you can have the chamber polished.

gotcha
06-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Keep in mind that any "home remedies" performed on your rifle will void your warranty. Polishing the chamber won't remove gouges in the chamber. If you grind deeply enough to remove gouges you will also change the dimensions of the chamber. Not good! Please refer to my answer to your 1st post....... And good luck

Texas10
06-15-2015, 09:07 PM
I called Savage Customer Service and described the problem. They are sending me a new box to UPS the gun back for rework. It'll take a few weeks or months, but there's no rush. So I'll wait until it's fixed before I order a new stock.

Thanks for the all the help, guys. I'll update once I have more information.

Big Boom
03-01-2016, 04:34 AM
how did that work out for you?:confused:

GaCop
03-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Ditto, did Savage take care of the problem?

Texas10
03-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Not well, unfortunately. Although they did polish the chamber and it doesn't tear up the brass as bad as before, I had to send it in again for poor firing pin fit that was causing primer blanking. I posted that under another thread in the ammunition and loading section.