PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent cocking??

Nor Cal Mikie
05-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Got a "left hand Accu Trigger" action that won't cock all the time. Seems that way at least? No firing pin dent "at times" and maybe might need the firing pin adjusted out a little more. Looks like a light firing pin strike then no strike at all. Had the bolt body installed like a "righty" but got that figured out. :-[
Will the firing pin spring adjustment cause not cocking at times? Anybody run into the same situation? Thanks for any input, Mike.

EFBell
05-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Could be trigger adjustment maybe? Tighten it up a little bit and see what hapens.

Nor Cal Mikie
05-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks Ed: Like a "big dummy" I left my trigger adjusting tool laying on the bench when I headed to the range. The action has to be pulled out of the stock when I make the adjustment so I can see if it's cocking. Doesn't feel quite right so I'll do some digging and keep a close watch on it. Think I'll re adjust the firing pin while I'am at it and see if it changes the primer strike. Anything is worth a try. ;)

BillPa
05-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Got a "left hand Accu Trigger" action that won't cock all the time. Seems that way at least? No firing pin dent "at times" and maybe might need the firing pin adjusted out a little more. Looks like a light firing pin strike then no strike at all. Had the bolt body installed like a "righty" but got that figured out. :-[
Will the firing pin spring adjustment cause not cocking at times? Anybody run into the same situation? Thanks for any input, Mike.

A number of things can cause light or inconsistent primer strikes.

1. Sear contacting the stock.
2. Sear binding between the trigger housing and action.
3. Trigger over travel adjusted too tight.

Worser things ;D

4. A combination of a bent or machined off center firing pin and a stuck bolthead retaining pin.
5. Excessive firing pin protrusion. ( you only want and need .030"-.035" )
6. Foreign matter in the bolthead shaft.
7. Last, about 29.2 lbs of gunk in the trigger group and or bolt body.
8. Excessive headspace and/or brass head clearance.

Will the firing pin spring adjustment cause not cocking at times?

There isn't a firing pin spring adjustment. The only adjustment on that assembly is the protrusion and the length of the assembly, the the length from the cocking piece to the protrusion adjustment for that bolt body. Too short and the cocking piece pin will stop the firing pin forward travel instead of the primer, too long and the spring will not be fully compressed and the pin fall decreased.

Bill

Nor Cal Mikie
05-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Bill: From 1 to 8, I don't think any of them are the problem. New action just put together for a build. Everything clean and new.
What I did was replace the firing pin and spring assembly as a unit from another new action that I have. Went out and popped 5 primed cases and everything worked OK so far. I also adjusted the trigger spring just in case.(and put the adjusting tool in my range bag ;))
What I'am thinking is that the tension on the spring wasn't adjusted correctly as well as the firing pin protrusion. Got that squared away so now I'am wondering what's the OAL of the assembly? Any idea? If need be I can measure the assembly in my other new action and adjust accordingly. And thanks for jumping in here. I was about to start banging my head on the wall. ;)

geargrinder
05-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Man, you've had a ton of problems with that action.

You better send it to me for proper disposal.

Uncle Jack
05-24-2010, 10:31 PM
".....Inconsistent cocking"

I had a similar problem a while back, but I cured it with proper nutrition and hypnosis.

uj

Nor Cal Mikie
05-25-2010, 12:06 AM
You guys are killing me! ;D I think I got it sorted out. Readjusted the firing pin and the OAL of the pin/spring assembly. (after the spring and threaded cap flew across the room. :o) Found the pieces in the last place I looked. ;)
Pulled the assembly out of another new bolt to get the proper OAL.
Went out and popped another 5 primed cases and I think it's in working order. Cocks on demand and there's a good hit on the primers. Another trip to the range will tell for sure.
This has been a learning experience so I guess you "can" teach an old dog new tricks. (just when I thought I knew everything. 8))
And I even wrote down the OAL measurements for future reference. ;)
After all the BS I went through, I wasn't too inpressed with the rig. It shoots bug holes but with a brake on it, it feels like your teeth are getting knocked out from the concussion. It'll take a little getting use to. 10 out of 10 hits at 440 yards from a pistol platform isn't too bad. Not quite the same feel as my bench rigs.

BillPa
05-25-2010, 12:16 AM
I'am wondering what's the OAL of the assembly? Any idea? If need be I can measure the assembly in my other new action and adjust accordingly. And thanks for jumping in here. I was about to start banging my head on the wall. ;)

Ya Gads....that could be a little hard on the wall don't ya thunk? ;D

After setting the protrusion adjust the cocking piece so the cocking piece pin has about .005"-.010" clearance between the bottom of the cocking ramp with the protrusion nut bottomed on the bolt head shaft. You'll notice a small amount of free play in the bolt handle cocking the bolt, might be a 16th of an inch or a little more free play depending how the cocking piece sleeve, the pin and lock washer line up to put the mess together.

Although the cocking piece pin will never ( or shouldn't) bottom out on the ramp when a primer is struck the combination of the clearance between the pin-ramp and a protrusion of .030-.035" insures the maximum pin fall length. There isn't a measurement as such since the parts may vary a bit.

Bill

Nor Cal Mikie
05-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Bill: I just set the assembly OAL up to the same length of a new one and it seems to be working pretty good. I'll know more after I get back to the range but for now it feels pretty good. Thanks for your input, Mike.

And one piece hit the door and the other piece ended up on the kitchen counter.
My first thought was to order another threaded sleve till I "stumbled" on the missing pieces. Kinda like extractor balls. ;)

Nor Cal Mikie
05-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Uncle Jack: Inconsistant cocking? They've got pills for that but if you don't swallow them fast enough, you'll get a stiff neck. ;)

Uncle Jack
05-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Uncle Jack: Inconsistant cocking? They've got pills for that but if you don't swallow them fast enough, you'll get a stiff neck. ;)

As long as I don't go deaf and blind.....my Papa warned me about that.

uj