PDA

View Full Version : Savage off/on muzzle brake--need help!

Pages : 1 [2]

devildogandboy
06-26-2015, 07:04 PM
Bruce,

Contact Savage technical assistance at http://savagearms.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new; they may have a quick solution for you (that does not involve shipping them the gun).

mbogo

thank you George, sent them an email through the link. worth a try!

Bruce

rc109a
06-28-2015, 08:27 AM
I had the same issue with mine. They told me to stick something through the holes that went all the way through (like a punch). Then told me to completely take it off. Once that is done, it should come apart and needs to be cleaned. I did this and it worked. I cleaned it up and never had an issue with is not working. Just be careful as mine had a couple of ball bearings in it and they fell out the first time I took it apart.

I had the Model 16 FHSAK if that is the same type of brake.

devildogandboy
06-28-2015, 11:49 PM
I had the same issue with mine. They told me to stick something through the holes that went all the way through (like a punch). Then told me to completely take it off. Once that is done, it should come apart and needs to be cleaned. I did this and it worked. I cleaned it up and never had an issue with is not working. Just be careful as mine had a couple of ball bearings in it and they fell out the first time I took it apart.

I had the Model 16 FHSAK if that is the same type of brake.

thanks rc, that's the same brake. guess i'll try removing it and clean it up. i'll let you know how it goes.

Bruce

devildogandboy
06-29-2015, 11:43 AM
rc109a, those holes are kinda small, what did you find that wouldn't break off? i tried one of my punches that fit perfectly and it snapped off. did you heat the barrel also?

Bruce

devildogandboy
06-29-2015, 02:39 PM
UPDATE!! finally got the thing to break loose. at this point i was going to remove the whole brake and this is how i went about it(took this advice from some other people). i put it in my barrel vice, heated, put 8d nail through it with leather under nail-head so as not to screw up the brake and tried removing nail with claw hammer. after breaking numerous nails(these nails snapped, did not bend) i was ready to give up again but not until i tried the visegrip and leather method once again. PRESTO, the brake started to work as it was intended! i worked it open and closed for awhile and now being satisfied it works i stood it upright in a small bottle of bore cleaner once again and have been working it back and forth every now and then to get the carbon out from between the 2 sleeves, that stuff is just oozing out now. tonite i will put it in a bottle full of PB blaster and let it soak some more.

i would like to thank all of you who have offered ideas and suggestions to solve my problem, we got if licked!

the bad news is i have one more to do now, hope it goes easier!lol

Bruce

Texanjohn
06-29-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm an auto mechanic, if you go to any GOOD shop that has a lot of Snap On equipment, you may be able to get a small amount of a carbon remover known as " Motorvac detergent" if the shop has a Motorvac machine they will have it, it was originally developed for the navy to clean carbon from the bores of artillery , cannons and such, come to find out will also clean out your combustion chamber if mixed with the gasoline and done properly, that stuff Will, without a doubt, dissolve any carbon that is causing you a problem! Good luck , john

devildogandboy
06-29-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm an auto mechanic, if you go to any GOOD shop that has a lot of Snap On equipment, you may be able to get a small amount of a carbon remover known as " Motorvac detergent" if the shop has a Motorvac machine they will have it, it was originally developed for the navy to clean carbon from the bores of artillery , cannons and such, come to find out will also clean out your combustion chamber if mixed with the gasoline and done properly, that stuff Will, without a doubt, dissolve any carbon that is causing you a problem! Good luck , john

duly noted and will keep my eye out for some. this will not harm the finish on the barrel i trust? thanks.

Bruce

big honkin jeep
06-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Glad you got it.
Though difficult I knew it would give up after some time.
Now after you shoot it just be sure to close it and put a couple of drops of break free in a few of the holes on opposite sides and open and close it a few times.
It wont happen in the future.

devildogandboy
06-30-2015, 01:13 PM
Glad you got it.
Though difficult I knew it would give up after some time.
Now after you shoot it just be sure to close it and put a couple of drops of break free in a few of the holes on opposite sides and open and close it a few times.
It wont happen in the future.

i've never used this stuff, are you talking CLP or the CO?

Bruce

big honkin jeep
06-30-2015, 01:29 PM
The break free CLP is really good stuff. I know it doesn't mean much but it was developed for the military and I use that **** on everything :)

devildogandboy
06-30-2015, 03:11 PM
The break free CLP is really good stuff. I know it doesn't mean much but it was developed for the military and I use that **** on everything :)

thanks for the reply, i have to go to Cabelas anyway, i'll pick some up. thanks again.

Bruce

devildogandboy
06-30-2015, 07:20 PM
well, made my trip to Cabelas and got some BreakFree CLP now. while i was there i did some browsing to see what they had in reloading components, i was surprised to see numerous powders in both 1 and 8 lbs, lots of primers and bullets! they even had 22 lr in 325packs for $22. looks like it 's starting to look better, i hope. it's good to see the shelves starting to fill up.

Bruce

big honkin jeep
06-30-2015, 09:08 PM
You might try some of the break free on the other brake first, give it some time and see what kind of results you get turning it loose. I just suggested the PB blaster earlier because It has a penetrating catalyst.
It's been so long that I cant remember if I used kroil or just break free on mine.
Im sure with some lube, time and good technique you'll get it.

devildogandboy
06-30-2015, 09:47 PM
i thought i would never get that first one to break free and was about to give up on it. now i have hope i will get the second free also. thanks for the help!

Bruce

devildogandboy
07-01-2015, 11:58 AM
GOT IT!!! the second muzzle brake has broke free, i soaked it in bore cleaner all night and tried working it this morning with no results. put it in my barrel vise and put the nail through it with the leather for protection like before and gave it a twist and i saw it budge ever so slightly. at this point i got the leather and vise grips and gave it a little back and forth action and it started working! put it back in the bore cleaner and keeep working it every 15 minutes or so and can see all the carbon that is being broke up. i'll do this for the rest of the morning then spray it down with brake cleaner and put some Break Free CLP on it. next time i will check them more often for function.

Bruce

rc109a
07-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Well at least the third one you just got will be easy to take apart and clean...

devildogandboy
07-25-2015, 09:59 AM
Well at least the third one you just got will be easy to take apart and clean...

i will have the experience, that's for sure! still waitning on usps to deliver, seems to be stuck in colorado. **** them!

Bruce

update: came in this morning and that brake is smoooothhh compared to my others! thanks Ron.

Bruce